Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler CV14S command engine problems

Visiting Guest

10-25-04, 10:20 AM   #1  
kenstauber68
Kohler CV14S command engine problems

I have just acquired a craftsman tractor with a Kohler 14hp vertical shaft set up. The motor was running very weak when I received it and I was informed by the owner the motor was shot. I thought it could be a hanging valve, so I removed the head, inspected the valves, cleaned them, re-lapped them and re-assembled with all new gaskets, still it ran like crap. I worked my way to the carb, and found that the previous owner replaced the fuel shut-off solenoid. And the welch plug was missing. I replaced the plug cleaned the carb and re-assembled. It fired up, and came alive, it seemed to be running good, except that the exhaust was glowing red hot and there was gasoline spitting inside the carb, when the throttle was full up, between the air cleaner neck and the opening to the carb. At low idle it seemed normal, mean it ran ok.I ran the mower around the yard cutting some grass, it seemed ok until it tryed going up inclines, there was a lack of power, and it was consuming a lot of gas. Once the mower was shut down I returned to it hours later to notice that there was a puddle and or of fuel sitting on the bottom of the neck of the air cleaner. It was slowly leaking through the gasket between them. Can anyone possibly shed some light on this issue.
model number: 917.254851
Engine Model #: CV14S, type 1452
thanks
Ken

Last edited by kenstauber68; 10-26-04 at 04:12 AM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-26-04, 02:10 AM   #2  
The fuel is caused by a leak at the needle and seat. Check to be sure the gas didn't amke it's way into the oil. If it did, change the oil before you run it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread