Help installing stater on B&S

Old 10-26-04, 05:41 AM
Help installing stater on B&S

I have an Snapper riding mower with an 8HP B&S engine. Model 190702, Type 1188-01, Code 80022909. I have avalible to me another Snapper riding mower with a bad motor that has the electric starter that I want to use. I don't have the engine numbers for that one but I think it is a couple of years old then the one I have. Other then the obvious things, starter, flywheel, key switch and panel, what other things do I have to remove form the old engine? Is there a rectifier or alterntor that I have to remove? If so were are they located? What about the magnetio, is this special for electric start options?

Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-04, 12:28 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you go to the briggs site http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...6-00B0D0203414
get the parts list for both engines, (Its most likely going to be the same one as the model you posted showed both electric and manual start) You can compare part#'s that way. Also the Snapper site has some good literature, http://www.snapper.com/# click on "Publications" in the upper right corner of the page. They probably only have owner and parts manuals available online but I have used them to troubleshoot and repair snapper electrical. One thing you didnt mention I just now thought of will be safety switches, only 1 or maybe 2 but but something to consider.

Old 10-26-04, 05:36 PM
joebj
Visiting Guest
Get the battery cables, and solenoid switch. The charging system is part of the flywheel (magnets), and the rest bolts to the engine block under the flywheel. Pay attention to the way this is oriented before removing, and install in the same position on your engine. The magneto (coil) will be the same for either engine.

Old 10-27-04, 06:16 AM
I was able to get the numbers from the other engine. 190707, 1171 01, 79012312. I suppose I can just take what ever is connected to the starter and switch and I should have everything. Correct?