B&S Electric starter parts

Old 10-25-04, 01:29 PM
cando
Visiting Guest
Unhappy B&S Electric starter parts

Anyone know where to get parts (Brushes and Bushings) for the electric starter on a B&S 18 Hp engine from a Craftsman mower. I have actually located the brushes for about $15. The gear end bushing seems to be the part I can't locate. I can replace the whole starter for about $66 but that rubs me wrong when only about $20 worth of parts need to be replaced. The starter P/N is 395538. I can get a new bottom end cap (with brushes) for about $30 dollars but that will leave the most worn part (the gear end bushing) and not solve the problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
Cando

Old 10-25-04, 02:10 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you get the engine model and type #'s, go here http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=64103 and find your illustrated parts list. In that is also a break down of the starter. Some parts you can find at Sears http://www3.sears.com/ or you can order online or find a store all on the briggs site http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...8-61BB0ADB5155
where availability should be less of a problem.
The pinion spring kit from briggs is about 7 bucks.

Old 10-25-04, 02:23 PM
cando
Visiting Guest
Starter parts

Thanks AZIS. I will take another look a those sites. The sears site was definitely a dead end for bushings. I think I've been to the B&S site also and could not drill down to the bushings. But, maybe I missed it. The engine m/n is 422700 but I'll have to go look up the type designation. Later.
Cando

Old 10-25-04, 04:25 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Your type code may be a bit different but that model # gets me the same as I suspected and found b4. Looks like 2 possible starters, difference is housing length, one 3 5/8" the other 4 3/8".
Part # for starter is different than what you posted, 497596 and 498148, could be a part # change.

Old 10-25-04, 04:56 PM
cando
Visiting Guest
Starter parts

The best I can do is locate the drive end cap which is quoted at $30 (+ s&h I'm sure). I have the 497596 (3 5/8) starter, I mistakenly listed the p/n of the brush set in my first post. So, it may be cheaper to purchase the whole starter (imported version) for $66 by the time I add up the pieces separately. As I said too bad I can't just buy the bushings. Thanks for your help.
Cando

Old 10-26-04, 02:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Cando!

Check with any automotive starter rebuilder shop. They should have a bushing to fit. It is a common size.

Old 10-26-04, 11:34 AM
cando
Visiting Guest
Starter parts

I checked with one Auto/Electrical shop already and they said it was much smaller than anything they normally deal with. Not a lot of face to face resources in my area. I have given up and bit the bullet, ordered the foreign "Knockoff" version for $60 + s&h. I could have come in about $5 cheaper by buying the two endcaps but I decided that was not enough savings to put the rest of the old parts back in service with probably 20 years of wear already on them. If anyone is interested, I ordered from mfgsupply.com. The plus side is I found several new parts sites even if I couldn't beat the "throw it out,buy a new one" system this time. Thanks for everyones efforts.
Cando

Old 10-27-04, 01:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Oh well. The starter rebuilders in my area also rebuild small engine starters, and keep parts like bushings in stock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: