Problem Starting Older IDC Blower / Vac

Old 10-31-04, 02:40 PM
Problem Starting Older IDC Blower / Vac

I have an IDC blower vac that is around 10 years old. It worked fine this summer. Then when I tried it yesterday, although I got it started, it died on acceleration. With much tinkering with the idle mixture screw, I was able to get it to run on full throttle without dying. After about 10 minutes of pretty good running (with some choppiness at times, when I had to release the throttle and bring it back up to full throttle slowly to prevent it from dying), the blower stopped, and I have not been able to get it started since. I tried brand new gas (with 2-cycle oil mixed in), I have disassembled some of the main parts -- the fuel is cycling through the fuel lines and the brand new primer bulb just fine. I also replaced the spark plus and air filter last week, so that can't be the problem. I even checked the spark plug -- with the plug removed and grounded to the engine, I can see that it sparks when I pull the starter cord every time the piston compresses -- several times each pull.

Does it sound like a carb disassembly and cleanout is what is called for? If so, can I re-use all of the existing carb parts after cleaning, or do I need to order new carb parts? Thanks!

Bob Friedel
Philadelphia, PA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try squirting a little gas into the cylinder and see if it will run for a second or two. if so, you have a feul related problem. If not, you likely have lost compression. Those IDC products were not famous for long life.

Old 11-02-04, 03:16 AM
Removing the muffler will give you a good view of the cylinder and piston. Any scoring and it's toast due to the fact that you will lose vacuum to draw in the fuel mixture.

Old 08-28-09, 12:52 PM
replace the fuel lines

it will fix the problem your having..........

Old 08-28-09, 11:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on what is wrong, and if they are still having problems since this thread is 5 years old.