Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Snapper Rider Mower Tecumseh engine cuts out when engaging cutting lever

Visiting Guest

11-01-04, 10:01 AM   #1  
coffeecup
Old Snapper Rider Mower Tecumseh engine cuts out when engaging cutting lever

Hi,
I have an old (14+ years) Snapper Rider Mower with rear Tecumsuh engine.
It starts ok and runs in all gears, but when I try to engage the blade cutter it stalls out.
Is this an electrical problem? I cleaned out all the debri under and around it, but it still doesn't work.
What should I do? I am not familiar with electrical repairs so please reply as
if you were talking to a 5 year old.
Thank You!
coffeecup

Sponsored Links

11-01-04, 10:24 AM   #2  
May not be electrical. You may have a pulley that has bad bearings and when the belt tightens by engaging the cutting lever it ties up and stops the engine. Check all your pulleys for free movement...all pullies. Good luck and post back.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-04, 11:55 PM   #3  
I agree. Keep in mind that the blade pulley has a brake on it, and will not turn freely by hand unless the belt is removed and the engagement handle is in the engaged position. There is also an electrical safety switch on some snappers under the seat. If it is defective, it will switch the engine off when the blades are engaged. To determine if you have a seat switch, simply look under the seat. If there are wires going under the seat, then one is present.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread