8N Wiring

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-01-04, 09:19 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
8N Wiring

Recently bought a 1952 8N (it had been converted to 12V system) and was in the process of changing the oil when I got the wire going from the ignition/battery to the alternator pinched in the oil filter cap. It was hidden so I couldn't see it. Went to start it up and the pinched wire caused all of the wiring to burn up (melted all the covering).

I replaced the wiring that was fried- the wire from the alternator to the resistor (the part that was fried from the oil filter to the resistor) and the ignition (the ignition wires were fried from the ignition to the ammeter and from the ignition to the resistor). I assumed that since none of the other wires were fried, they were OK??

However, after I replaced the wire and went to start her up, nothing...just the very slightest tiny click about every 3 times I turned the key.

Could I have fried the battery or starter or ammeter??? There are no fuses, correct?

Please help, I haven't even had a chance to drive it around for more than 2 minutes since I bought it.

Annother note: The wiring had a diode connected coming out of the resistor that went to the alternator. I've been told that a diode isn't needed with a 12V system. I tried wiring it with a new diode and without....neither worked.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-01-04, 11:31 PM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,815
Hello John!

Sorry, but I have very little experience working on large tractors. I am a little familiar with the 8N, but not so much that I know the wiring off the top of my head. Check the power supply starting at the battery and work your way to switch and solenoid. Do you have a volt/ohmmeter? A test light at least is needed, a VOM even better.
 
  #3  
Old 11-02-04, 05:30 AM
jughead's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 597
I've owned a 8N myself years ago. It's a nice piece of equipment. You'll need a VOM to do some checking. Sounds to me like you just ran the battery flat when you burned up the wires. A voltmeter would quickly tell you if that's true and if not just where the big voltage drop occurs when you try to start.
 
  #4  
Old 11-07-04, 08:54 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I tried charging the battery, but it wouldn't charge. Put in a new battery and wiring (with new diode) and it's working well.

Thanks everyone for your input!
 
  #5  
Old 11-09-04, 12:38 AM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,815
Glad you got it fixed!
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes