Kohler Command Pro 20 starts then stops

Old 11-04-04, 10:25 AM
Kohler Command Pro 20 starts then stops

I purchased a used Dixon 6022 ZTR mower that has a Kohler Command Pro 20 OHV engine on it. It ran fine for the few first months I had it. The other day I let it warm up--always cold natured for about 5 minutes and the motor shut off. I tried to restart and it would run for about 3 seconds then die.

What I have done so far and my results:

1. drained gas, blew out lines, verified vent cap to be open, refilled with fresh gas--same thing starts on choke, then dies

2. removed gas line from carb and verifed fuel pump was sending gas also replaced fuel filter--sends gas same results.

3. removed card, cleaned out with carb cleaner and blew clean, reinstalled same results.

What else am I missing? The carb is definately getting fuel to it, the engine is firing over, it is almost like something is cutting the air or spark off after the engine starts. The only safety switches on the unit are on the PTO/blade switch, the seat, and the hydraulic drive arms--all seem to be in the correct place.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-04, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Joe!

Got a test light? Connect it inline with the fuel shutoff solenoid and start the engine. If the light goes out at the same time the engine shuts off, you are losing power to it. Also, try disconnecting the kill wire...it's the white wire in a multiconnector of 4 or 5 wires that pigtails from the ignition module if I remember right. This isolates the engine's ignition from the rest of the mower so you can get an idea where the problem lies if it is ignition. You'll have to reconnect it to turn it off or choke it out if it stays running.

Old 01-10-05, 07:26 AM
Just thought I would reply. Turns out the fuel shutoff solenoid was not getting power when the key was in the on position, it gets it in the start position thus letting it start. There are 5 pins on the switch, from the diagram of the kohler specs, the pin that should have power has it when the key is on--so problem is somewhere between the switch and the solenoid. For a quick fix, I just tied in a new wire from the switch to the solenoid and it runs fine.

FYI,

Joe

Old 01-10-05, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! That was what I suspected (seen it a time or two). Thanks for letting us know what you found!