Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1978 Kubota L260 - Clutch Stuck

11-05-04, 08:45 AM   #1  
1978 Kubota L260 - Clutch Stuck

The clutch does not disengage when the pedal is depressed. It just started doing this. Is there anyone out there that knows what to do about this?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-05-04, 06:40 PM   #2  
Is this a belt tensioner type of clutch, or a fiber disk clutch? Look at the linkage from the pedal to the clutching mechanism for loose linkages, broken parts, parts that should move and aren't. Press the clutch pedal and watch.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-16-04, 01:07 PM   #3  
The book is a loose translation into "Jap-English".

This is a disk type clutch. All linkages are intact and properly adjusted. I can feel the spring tension from the pressure plate and it feels normal. The first time this happened, I used the tractor for about an hour (idled it down, put the high/low range lever in neutral, put the shifter in a low gear, shift the high/low into low... ETC.) and after that the clutch started working correctly. A few days later, I went to use it again and it has the same problem. This time it didn't correct itself. I referred to the maintenance manual to see if there were any adjustments. (Keep in mind this is a 1978 model Japaneese tractor... and not a gray market model) The book is a loose translation into "Jap-English". It is hard to understand and the drawings do not appear to resemble the actual parts. It is as if everything is shown as transparrent. No hidden lines, alternate views, or cross sections to give a sense of depth. I'm afraid that if I cannot find an expert to explain how to adjust the clutch through the ~3" x ~4" access cover, I will have to split the tractor which will mean removing the loader and seems like alot of un-necessary work.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Visiting Guest

11-16-04, 03:36 PM   #4  
Azis
Cheese and others should have much more to add than I will, although I worked as a equipment maintenance tech in a Japanese Silicon Wafer Manuf. for 8 yrs. I consider myself fluent in Janglish if I can help with the manual.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-16-04, 11:03 PM   #5  
Is this tractor used regularly? Sounds like the clutch may be sticking to the flywheel (maybe rust). Will the tractor start? If you can start it in gear and then hold the clutch in while throttling the engine up and down quickly and hitting the brakes on and off might get it free. You might have to soak the clutch area down with penetrating oil. (might not be the best for the clutch material, but if it's stuck, it's stuck). The splines on the input shaft might be rusty too. If you can get it to break free, use it a lot for a while. Work it. If there's rust on it, let it wear it off.

God bless!

11-23-04, 04:45 AM   #6  
Well CHEESE, You nailed it.

The penetrating oil did the trick.

However, I have a few questions...

How does a FIBER clutch disk rust fast to a STEEL flywheel?

Why doesn't the lubricant cause the clutch to slip?

Anyway, Thanks for the advise.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-24-04, 01:01 AM   #7  
Great!!!

Glad you got it fixed!

The fiber disk is porous. Water/moisture between the disk and flywheel will allow the rust to form like glue between the 2 surfaces, extending into the pores of the disk. It makes them stick together, kind of like rusty nails in the bottom of a can. The rust binds them.

The lubricant would let it slip more easily than if it were'nt there, but the clutch has so much pressure against it from the pressure plate forcing it against the flywheel that it has to grab. The fact that it didn't slip is a good indicator that your clutch may still be in good shape. The rusty surface of the flywheel probably also made it grab better.

Did you have to start it and make it break loose, or did the penetrating oil alone do the trick?

God bless!

Search this Thread