Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to change belts on older ariens snowblower ?

Visiting Guest

11-06-04, 09:07 AM   #1  
TheKneebiter
how to change belts on older ariens snowblower ?

anyone have any tips on how to change the 2 belts on an older ariens snowblower ? thanks

Sponsored Links

CANADA

11-06-04, 09:42 AM   #2  
TheKneebiter
You'll have to separate the auger from the transmission. There are 2 bolts on the top of the auger housing,where the auger meets the transmission, these have to be removed and either it will have 2 more bolts below these or the auger will fit on a rod or bar to allow you to separate it. Once the bolts are removed, the blower will separate and then you will have access to the pulleys. Remember that when you are removing the bolts, support the handle of the blower because once the bolts are removed, the handle/transmission assembly will want to fall backwards.
It sounds more scarier than it is but it isn't, just take your time and support the handles.
If you need a diagram on your blower, go to http://www.ariens.com/ and go to "parts radar". Enter your blower information and the diagram may give you more insight.

snoman

Visiting Guest

11-06-04, 03:55 PM   #3  
TheKneebiter
snoman, thank you. i got it figured out pretty quick after reading your reply. now i have another problem that maybe you can help with. when i went to purchase the belts i figure that while i had the machine apart and because the auger was a little noisy and had a little play in it that i would buy a new bearing for where the auger shaft comes through the box. i removed the 2 allen head set screws and soaked the back of the pully and shaft with wd40 but there is no way the pully is budging. i put a bar and tried to pry it and tried to hit the bar down with a hammer and even heated it with a plumbers torch but no go. now after bleeding nuckles i figured i would ask out here for some help. what do you think ?

CANADA

11-07-04, 07:35 AM   #4  
TheKneebiter
A rusted on pulley is probably one of the biggest headaches. Penetrating fluid,heat and lots of patience are whats required. If you have no luck with this then probably take the auger assembly down to your local small motor dealer or garage that can use a set of torches for some real heat. It will come off but it may take time. Don't pry too hard on the outside of the pulley because you don't want to bend it.
Worse case scenario would be to cut the pulley off and replace it. After you do get it off, clean the shaft with emery cloth and when reinstalling the pulley, use never seize so it will come off easier the next time.

snoman

Visiting Guest

11-07-04, 01:00 PM   #5  
TheKneebiter
i got it off. but sure enough i bent it i will order a new one tomorrow. i hope there not to exspensive i will keep you posted. thanks again for all your help

Search this Thread