Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor backfire

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 05:10 PM   #1  
gusky11
Carburetor backfire

My sister-in-law recently gave me a 10+ year old Ariens snowblower with a 2.5 hp tecumseh engine. Hasn't been used in about 5 years and i was unable to get it started. Cleaned the diaphragm carburetor and replaced the diaphragm, cleaned the gas tank, added fresh gas, changed the plug. Engine still won't start. Runs rough for a few seconds and then quits. Backfires regularly through the carburetor. I'm guessing that the backfiring through the carburetor is a clue to why it won't run and I was hoping someone could explain the cause to me. Any additional suggestions on troubleshooting the problem would be appreciated !!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 05:32 PM   #2  
TheKneebiter
remove the screw/needle on the bottom of the carb that goes into the bowl. look carfull and you will see either 1 or 2 tiny holes in it. use a small piece of wire and clean out the holes then spray gumout through to make sure they are clean. 90% of the time this is the culprit of carb problems. let us know how you make out.

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 07:05 PM   #3  
Azis
Not familiar with that engine at all, is it a 2 cycle?
Assuming so, and its a diaphram carb, you wont have the screw TheKneebiter mentions. You might want to make sure your fuel lines or pickup are clean and clear.
Also check for any blockage in the muffler. There may be a spark arrestor (metal Screen, hard to imagine why on a snowblower but hey!??!) they plug regularly it seems.
That should give ya a start till someone else gets here what knows your engine. If you post the model # I may be able to find some info online for it.

Visiting Guest

11-10-04, 06:14 PM   #4  
gusky11
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday i cleaned the carburetor again, regapped the points and cleaned up the valves a bit. Don't know which was the culprit but with a little bit of starter fluid, the engine fired right up. It ran smooth except for a bit of surging with the throttle all the way up.

Visiting Guest

11-11-04, 09:32 AM   #5  
Azis
Glad ya got it, it may surge at full throttle a bit with no load on it, but should hunker down and smooth out when ya put it to work.

Search this Thread