Craftsman 15hp Problems

Old 10-01-04, 07:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Craftsman 15hp Problems

I have a 15hp Craftsman riding mower and have never had any problems with it until now. I loaded it on my truck and it ran fine. When we unloaded it, it started sputtering, running very rough, and died. I finally got it to run for about 15 minutes before it died again. It is backfiring through the carb. I think it may have a valve that is sticking. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-04, 01:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
What kind of engine is on it? Was it tilted much when loaded/unloaded? If so, check the air filter. It could have gotten soaked with oil.

Old 10-04-04, 04:29 AM
T
It has a B&S engine on it. It was not tilted hardly at all when it was loaded or unloaded, both times I was backed up to a embankment.

Old 10-04-04, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the air filter to be sure, and if it's not soaked, then remove the carburetor bowl and clean it out. I think it may have water in it.

Old 10-05-04, 07:36 AM
T
I have already cleaned out the carburetor bowl and drained/changed the gas. I did all of this as soon as I started having trouble b/c I thought the same thing.

Old 10-06-04, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, have you pulled the valve cover yet to check the valves? The intake push-rod on those engines is notorious for bending. Sometimes it pops the keeper off the valve and causes all sorts of chaos in the cylinder.

Old 10-07-04, 04:19 AM
T
I have not taken the valve cover off yet b/c I wanted to see some of the suggestions this site could give me. I plan on tearing into it tonight or this weekend. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for all of the help that you have offered.

Old 10-27-04, 10:52 AM
T
I finally got time to work on my mower last night. We replaced the head gasket because it was in very bad shape on the intake side of the head. The mower still would not run. If you remove the fuel solenoid from the carburetor bowl and cover the hole with your finger the engine will run but it is very rough. When you put the fuel solenoid back on it will not run at all. How many volts should the solenoid be getting? Is there a way to test the solenoid or replace with something else?

Last edited by troutfisher20; 10-27-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 07:55 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It should get battery voltage. I am not sure if your will have the metering holes or not, if not you can replace it with a like bolt. Check the part that threads into the carb, if it has any holes on the shaft or the end you need a to replace it. See if you can hear of feel it when you turn the key to run, if not you can try to jump voltage to it. Case is ground terminal is positive.

Old 10-28-04, 09:45 AM
T
When we tested the voltage on the wire, it was on ly about 3V. We hot wired it straight from the battery and it ran fine. I think the problem is either in the swith or in the wire itself. Thanks for all the help that you guys have given.

Old 11-10-04, 05:43 AM
T
Okay, I have another question. When I turn the switch nothing happens. I can take a screwdriver or something and jump across what I think is some kind of solenoid between the starter and the switch and it will start. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Old 11-11-04, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be an ignition switch, fuse, safety switch, or bad solenoid. Check the solenoid trigger wire that plugs onto the side of the solenoid near the base. See if it has 12volts when you turn the key to start. If so, but still no start, then you have a bad solenoid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: