Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wards Rider 12hp OHV Tecumseh

Visiting Guest

11-08-04, 07:26 PM   #1  
Azis
Wards Rider 12hp OHV Tecumseh

Wards Rider 32" 12HP Tecumseh OVM120 200013A
Seems it has been stored for a few years in a dry shed. The carb started leaking as soon as I put gas in the dry tank so I put a complete kit in the carb and with a few more goes at it finally got it to stop leaking. The float was all dented "IN", I have seen some examples of how altitude can effect containers and such and it looks like the same deal, like it was sucked in on itself Not sure if what ever caused that could have effected something else or not.
I can get it to fire and almost start enuff so the starter disengages and thats bout it. I tossed a regular compresion gage on it and do not get a reading, I dont think thats conclusive to anything but ...
I have also checked the shear key and regapped the coil.

I ordered a manual as I need an idea whats ahead as far as time, including my learning curve. Its an overhead valve, but I dont know if they are adjustable, or do they require grinding....am I headed in the right direction?

Heheh if nothing else I'm just lookin fer opinions to carry with me in the morn as this thing has been one of those pains I am ready to get rid of

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-09-04, 12:29 AM   #2  
Hello Azis!

The float having a crushed look is the result of water being in the carb, and then freezing. The water expands and crushes the float.

The valves are adjustable without grinding. That might be a good place to look, but valves on an OHV engine usually get loose, which makes it hard for the starter to turn over the engine, but it will usually run fine once it gets spinning. (valves in L head engines usually get tight causing low compression and hard starting).

It kind of sounds like you might have low compression...possibly from stuck rings? Or rusty valve seats? (from being stored for so long, and the water issue). Try squirting a bit of oil into the combustion chamber to get the compression up enough to get it to start.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-09-04, 08:30 AM   #3  
Azis
Ah makes sense on the float now and also means my leaky carb may not be not leaky It could have easily cracked the carb. I was about to go with the plastic elbow leaking which will require a new carb housing if so.
Hadn't thought of water freezing as the entire fuel system was bone dry and the fact that here in the valley in Wa st, we may see all of 2 or 3 days below freezing all year and then just barely and briefly. Although last Jan we had a few days of ice and cold.
I was reluctant to pull the valve cover as I really need to pull the front panels off for access, even pulling the plug is a bit of a squeeze.
The engine is a bit hard to crank and the gear on the starter is worn and hangs unless the engine spins faster than the starter then it will disengage, so will check clearance. .04-.07? intake-exhuast?
Also will and had thought of some oil in cylinder and should be able to get a look at the guides with the cover off.
Thx Cheese, as I mentioned I have been tripping over the carb for a week now and kinda lost my momentum, so hope to get it out soon, will let ya know.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-09-04, 11:32 PM   #4  
Yeah, I usually set the valves at around .005" to .007" for both on most OHV engines. I just rebuilt a twin-flathead engine that called for .016" to .019" on the exhaust valves!!! I had to grind the stems a bit to obtain that much clearance. Seems like that would make noise, or even shatter the valve stem with the lifter slamming into it like that. That's the largest valve clearance I have ever heard of.

Let us know what you find!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-09-04, 11:40 PM   #5  
Azis
Cool flathead aye. That does sound like a lot I guess since prefered is zero with hydrualic. Although there is probably a lot of mass there to expand at temp.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-11-04, 12:40 AM   #6  
Expansion was the only thing i could think of too.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-11-04, 09:19 AM   #7  
Azis
Ya its amazing just how much things will expand, still amazes me about the SR-71. It leaks like a colander on the ground, claims it will expand up to 11" in flight now try and calculate those clearances LOL

Search this Thread