Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears Front Gear Removal

GA

11-11-04, 01:13 PM   #1  
Sears Front Gear Removal

I’m working on a 1992 Sears Craftsman Self-Propelled Push Mower, Model 917.372480. The front wheel adjusting brackets have become “loose” over time and the gears are “chewing” the plastic wheel gears. I’m having difficulty removing the gears on the front axel, so I can see what I can do to tighten the brackets. I’ve tried PB Blaster, as well as heating the gears, with no success. I was not able to get my gear puller to attach to the gear, so this has not worked. Is there a trick to removing these gears? Suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-11-04, 04:39 PM   #2  
Azis
There is an E-Ring that fits on the end of the end of the shaft after the gear. You may need to clean a bit find a groove on the shaft the E-Ring snaps into that. I pick and or small screw driver can pry it out.

Go here http://www3.sears.com/ enter your model # then view the parts diagram, ref# 12 is the E-Ring.

GA

11-12-04, 02:54 PM   #3  
I already removed the e-ring. The gear seems to be really stuck on the axle. Any ideas??

Visiting Guest

11-13-04, 01:42 PM   #4  
Azis
Use some engine oil to soak it, heat it first if you can and somehow set up so you can keep oil pooled on the shaft area, let it soak adding oil as it seeps in heating agin keep working it. Would be good to if while nursing you could get some pressure even a little in either direction on it.
Also use some love taps with a hammer during heating oiling... u prolly get the idea.
I have freed some and lost some battles this way, it takes a bit of time tho.

GA

11-15-04, 05:55 PM   #5  
Gear Removal

SUCCESS!! Thanks for the suggestions. I used a combination of heat and liquid wrench. I then was able to get a gear puller to provide some pressure, as you suggested. It took awhile, but the gear finally popped loose. The gear has a woodruff key, which made the removal a little more difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Visiting Guest

11-16-04, 10:48 AM   #6  
Azis
Rite on
Glad we could help!

Search this Thread