Tecumseh Starter problems

Old 11-15-04, 08:39 AM
JoeL24
Visiting Guest
Angry Tecumseh Starter problems

I have a "White" snow thrower with a 9 hp Tecumseh enging. The electric starter makes a terrible grinding noise when the button is activated. I took the starter out, and tested it with current. The plunger works well and the starter turns fine. When I reinstalled it, the grinding noise returned. The engins starts fine with the pull cord. Could it be the starter or something internal?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 10:44 AM
What does the starter gear look like? It sure sounds like you have an engagement problem. Either there's something going on with the bendix drive or the starter pinion is chewed up. I suppose that you could have a problem with the ring gear, but that would be a LONG shot. You can either spring for a new starter or try replacing the gear on the old one.

Old 11-15-04, 05:01 PM
JoeL24
It definetely sounds like a meshing problem. Whether it's the starter gear or the ring gear. I would say to remove the recoil starter /blower housing and reinstall the electric starter. Now you can see how close the gears will actually be. You can turn the elec. starter gear by hand to the engage position to verify how it is meshing with the ring gear. (don't have the elec starter plugged in when doing this)
This is a good starting point.

snoman

Search this Thread