Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears Eager-1 Locked Front Wheels

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 01:10 PM   #1  
mowhoward
Sears Eager-1 Locked Front Wheels

I have a problem with a Sears Eager-1 mower. The drive (front) wheels have locked up. It's as though the thing is in "park". The wheels will not roll with or without the engine running. Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 02:19 PM   #2  
Azis
Do the wheels pull with the engine running? If not does the belt slip smoke or make a noise when trying to engage the wheels?
There should be a cover over the gear box, remove the cover and see how the belt looks and if you can turn the pulley.
Also check to see that your tensioner is working, this should be a spring loaded arm attatched to the cable from the handle.

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 04:14 PM   #3  
mowhoward
Posted By: Azis Do the wheels pull with the engine running? If not does the belt slip smoke or make a noise when trying to engage the wheels?
There should be a cover over the gear box, remove the cover and see how the belt looks and if you can turn the pulley.
Also check to see that your tensioner is working, this should be a spring loaded arm attatched to the cable from the handle.
It looks like the belt moves when I pull on the rope but the pulley stays frozen. The same must have been happening with the engine running. (I probably didn't run it enough to produce noise or smoke.) The tensioner moves when the control lever is switched but has no effect on the wheel movement. BTW, the wheels first locked while the mower was in use and I can't think of anything unusual I was doing at the time.

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 07:52 PM   #4  
Azis
If you pull the wheels you will be able to see the gear and shaft from the gearbox. I cant think of a common problem to look for it may just be a process of elimination. If with the wheels and belt off, the shaft still will not turn and it happened suddenly, I would look at the gear box. If you get the model # and go here http://www3.sears.com/ you should be able to find an owners manual and parts diagram.

Visiting Guest

11-17-04, 09:26 PM   #5  
mowhoward
Posted By: Azis If you pull the wheels you will be able to see the gear and shaft from the gearbox. I cant think of a common problem to look for it may just be a process of elimination. If with the wheels and belt off, the shaft still will not turn and it happened suddenly, I would look at the gear box. If you get the model # and go here http://www3.sears.com/ you should be able to find an owners manual and parts diagram.
Looks like a good approach. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread