Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray snowthrower hell

11-17-04, 08:37 PM   #1  
Murray snowthrower hell

I have a 3 year old Murray 2 cycle 3HP snowthrower that takes about 30 min worth of pulling and priming to start, all the time. I have changed the plug, changed the gas with no help. When the snowthrower finally stays on, it idles rough and has little to no power. The choke also has to be kept on full, or it will stall immediately. This model has a non adjustable bowl carburetor. The unit cost around $300.00. Is it time to say goodbye and move up?? Any help greatly appreciated.....

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-17-04, 10:58 PM   #2  
Hello halo!

Sounds to me like you need to clean the carburetor. Especially the tiny holes in the bolt that holds the bowl on.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-18-04, 08:12 PM   #3  
Thanks - new problem

Thanks for the help. Starts right up on the first pull. I took the bowl off, cleaned with carb spray - reassembled - now the dam thing leaks - somewhwere by the bowl. Is replacing the o ring normal after taking the bowl off - or did I break something further in with the carb cleaner???

11-18-04, 08:50 PM   #4  
You can always put new gaskets in. Sometime you can get by if you are careful to clean off all the surfaces and make sure everything is seated well as you carefully & slowly reassemble the carb. There are times when only a new gasket set will stop the leak. Good luck.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-19-04, 01:25 AM   #5  
If it is leaking from around the area where the bowl meets the carb body, then the float needle or needle seat is leaking. A bad float, trash in the carb, or a bad needle and seat will cause this.

God bless!

11-19-04, 09:59 PM   #6  
Needle seat question

Thanks again for the help. When I took the bowl off, I pulled out the needle by mistake. I thought I put it back on correctly with the spring wire, but it seemed to be loose. Did I trash the needle/Carb or is there a special way to re-attach the needle?

11-19-04, 10:34 PM   #7  
The screw that holds the bowl on needs to be screwed in till seated then backed off 1/4 turn.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-20-04, 12:17 AM   #8  
Nooo...you will have a gas leak and possibly a fire if you back that out 1/4 turn. Dangerous advice, don't do it.

I doubt you hurt the needle. Remove the bowl again and take a look. The wire should loosely clip the needle to the tab at the center of the float hinge area.

God bless!

CANADA

11-20-04, 06:27 AM   #9  
halo
If you just put the needle in wrong and it's not seating properly, then you can put it back on with out any problem. The best and easiest way would be to remove the carb (it can be done with the carb on but this is the easiest way plus you can check your float height at the same time) Go to this site and d/l a copy for your reference. http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
On thing to look at when reinstalling is to make sure the open end of the clip goes toward the choke end of the carb.
Now my opinion on this is that if you take off the carb to fix the needle, replace it with a new one for what they are worth. But that's my 2 cents.
Hope this helps.

snoman

11-20-04, 06:02 PM   #10  
A four cycle manual for a two cycle engine?

CANADA

11-20-04, 08:09 PM   #11  
Oops....my mistake. shoot , I gotta keep from putting my foot in my mouth.
Thanks for pointing that out firepaw.

snoman

11-21-04, 10:26 AM   #12  
parts - where to go

Thanks again for the help. I've come a long way and saved a lot. Question: I've taken off the carb to the above 3HP Murray tecumseh HSK 600 snowthrower and would like to change the needle, rubber rings/gasket/spring for float, etc... What is the tecumseh part number for the overhall kit and where is the best place to purchase online??

Thanks

12-09-04, 12:32 PM   #13  
Thanks to all

Thanks for all the help with the snowblower. I rebuilt the carb and the machine starts on the first pull. The leak was from the needle being installed incorrectly. Whole job cost $6.00 and it runs like new. Never thought I could do it myself.....THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread