Snapper LE3019/Tecumseh HSK-600

Old 11-21-04, 07:16 AM
Question Snapper LE3019/Tecumseh HSK-600

Hi. Last week I picked up a used Snapper LE3019R snowblower. It's built around a Tecumseh HSK-600 engine. The seller tells me that one must keep pressing the primer button to keep it running until it warms up. My initial guess is that the carb has a clogged jet. Am I way off base? Given that this snowblower appears to be made in 1994 or earlier, I was going to rebuild the carb anyway so hopefully this get fixed in the process.

I haven't removed the carb yet so I don't know anything about it other than it appears to be a float-style. A quick look at a few online small engine shops didn't turn up any HSK-600-specific carb kits so I assume Tecumseh is using a 3rd party carb? Do the HSK-600s use a particular brand/model carb or do I need to remove it completely and hope there's some sort of identifying marks so that I can order the correct carb kit?

Also, I found a dead bug in the air intake just before the choke plate. I understand "Snow King" engines are designed to not use air filters but it seems Tecumseh would have at least used some sort of mesh grill to keep foreign objects from falling (or crawling!) in.

JM

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-04, 09:28 AM
arcas
Normally you don't get any type of bugs happening in the winter let alone dust or dirt so Tecumseh never really needed a type of mesh or filter.Now before you decide to rebuild the carb...do a simple adjustment. If at the bottom of the carb there is a nut with a screw going through the center of it, this is the high speed adjusting screw. When the machine is up to temp. (approx. 1 min) turn it out (counter clockwise) about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. This will richen up the mixture. See if that will allow the machine to run a little better and without the prime.
Being this motor is newer, it may be equipped with the non adjustable high speed, if so then you really won't have any other recourse than to rebuild it, but the adjustment above is just a preliminary adjustment if you have it.

snoman

Old 11-21-04, 10:49 AM
a little help

My post is from "murray snowthrower hell". I also have a teccumseh HSK 600 on a murray line snowthrower. I can tell you one thing - the screw on the bottom of ther bowl is non adjustible and will leak if you loosen it on this model. I am also having problems locating a rebuild kit (part number) for this carb. If anyone posts on my question, I'll fill you in...

Old 11-21-04, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I concur with Halo...loosing the nut on the bottom of the carb bowl, even slightly, allows fuel to leak. That said, I finally got around to starting this bad boy today. It started on the fifth or sixth pull and I did not have to continue priming like the seller suggested but then again it was nearly 55F outside. Who knows how it'll perform when it's below freezing.

A couple observations:

1) The engine throbs. Throbbing decreased somewhat when I engaged the auger but it was still noticible.

2) It is certainly loud. Granted, it was operating with the engine access and belt guard panels removed but I can't imagine they'd do much to suppress the noise. Has anybody ever lined their snowblower engine compartment with dynamat?

Halo, I'll check with a couple lawn & garden equipment dealers tomorrow and see if they can point me towards a carb kit number, just in case I ever need one. Will let you know if I find anything.

JM

Old 11-21-04, 04:35 PM
arcas
NO NO NO I don't mean to loosen the nut ...just the screw that goes through the middle of the nut. The nut holds the float bowl on and keeps the fuel from leaking out. So if you try the fine tuning , that may make a difference if not then it's probably time to do the carb.

snoman

Old 11-24-04, 03:21 PM
Just a quick update...

Called a couple local lawn equipment/repair shops. Turns out Tecumseh has used 3 different carbs on this particular engine model (HSK600-1691) and as a result, there's no specific carb kit for an "HSK600." Instead, there is a universal Tecumseh carb kit (#632760B) that the parts guy said might work. They didn't have any in stock though so I can't say if it's adequate or not.

BTW, I don't see an adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl. It appears to be just a bolt. Someone in another thread mentioned that the throbbing/surging could be an indication of an air leak. I'll test for that tomorrow.