Need snowthrower advice

Old 11-21-04, 11:51 AM
sayvanderlay
Visiting Guest
Need snowthrower advice

I'm looking to buy my first snowthrower.
I live in Buffalo, NY, so a foot of snow is common (several times per year).
Driveway is only 90 ft or so, sidewalk is 50 ft.
I would like advice as to what specs to look for.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-04, 12:33 PM
You are more likely to get what you want here in this forum.

Last edited by chfite; 11-21-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello sayvanderlay!

I live too far south to give you snowblower advice, but there are others here on this forum who can help. Check back often for replies!

Old 11-22-04, 05:30 AM
The width of the intake should be about 18 to 24 inches. You want a 2 stage unit that will throw the snow 15 or 20 feet. I've been satisfied with my Jacobsen, but they no longer make that brand. It has a Tecumseh engine on it that starts on the first or second pull but is only 5 HP and is a little underpowered when the snow gets deep or wet. The new ones in the store all have 8 HP engines for the same sized intake. I have lots of driveway to clear, but now also have a 48 inch width blower mounted on the front of a lawn tractor with a 16 HP engine, but that's more of a blower than you need unless you want to make some extra bucks clearing all the driveways in your neighborhood to pay for it.

Old 11-23-04, 05:37 PM
sayvanderlay
If new is what you're looking for then I'd say to check out Ariens and Simplicity. They're a little more money than the usual Yardman or MTD but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. They both have good track records for quality.
Now don't take my word on it...you still must do your homework to see what will work the best for you.
Myself, I prefer the older Ariens (around 20 to 25 years old) I've owned older Ariens from 3 1/2 hp up to 10 hp. My favorite is the 6/24. I wouldn't hesitate to put it against most of the newer machines out there. If the newer Ariens have the same capabilities as the older ones I have, then I would seriously check their products out.
This is just one snomans' opinion.

snoman

Old 11-24-04, 05:20 PM
need snowthrower advice

sayvanderlay

you should probably be looking mainly at Ariens, Toro and Simplicity. I would've suggested Honda, but at this time of year you'll have a hard time finding one. an 8 hp engine at least. If you'll be using the machine after dark, consider a model with a headlight. A two stage macine is a must. How much are you prepared to spend? A new machine of this type likely will list for about $1000 minimum. you might find something cheaper if you're willing to consider used. Will you be clearing any areas other than your own? Whatever you decide, do check out the dealers as well as the "big box" stores and carefully consider the advantages of having a dealer provide professional set up and service, which may not be available from the big stores. AZ