cleaning out a metal tecumseh gastank ??

Old 11-26-04, 09:50 AM
TheKneebiter
Visiting Guest
cleaning out a metal tecumseh gastank ??

hello, i have a tecumseh 7hp with a metal tank. there was gas left in it for aprox 10 years. the gas had a strong foul smell. i poured out the gas and now inside the tank there is a heavy caked on black sludge/varnish. the tank is not rusty. does anybody know a good way to clean out the tank ? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 10:24 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Use some carb cleaner to let it soak. Napa sells the really good stuff but I think only in gallon cans or bigger, it would be the best I think. You might be able to get it with spray also, either carb cleaner or brake cleen. Either way if you reuse the old tank, install a fuel filter if one is not installed, this could save you a carb overhaul or problems at least.

Old 11-26-04, 10:43 AM
cleaning gas tank

While in high school worked for a welding shop. When a gas tank came in, Bill would always, before welding on it, drain it and then use carbon-tetrachloride(spelling),making sure it was swished around real good. Put air hose in and turned air on for a steady flow of air to take what ever fumes were left out of the tank. Always did this by the exhaust fan to the outside air.
Hope this helps!
T. J. terry

Old 11-26-04, 11:05 AM
TheKneebiter
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Azis
Use some carb cleaner to let it soak. Napa sells the really good stuff but I think only in gallon cans or bigger, it would be the best I think. You might be able to get it with spray also, either carb cleaner or brake cleen. Either way if you reuse the old tank, install a fuel filter if one is not installed, this could save you a carb overhaul or problems at least.
thanks for the tips. i called everybody i could find in the phone book. pepboys,napa,lappens,autozone,and some others. nobody in my area carrys chemdip or any type of gallon soak cleaners. only spray cans. i wonder if diesel fuel would work ?

Old 11-26-04, 12:03 PM
Carbon-Tet has been outlawed due to the cellular necrosis( liver damage) danger it poses.

http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0020.htm

Old 11-26-04, 12:25 PM
TheKneebiter
Visiting Guest
i decided to take a ride to my local autozone and see what they had there. for some reason i did not trust the guy on the phone that said all he had was spray cleaner. sure enough i found a can of chemdip. tomorrow i will pour some into the tank and slosh it around and let it sit for a while and see what happens.