Stihl chainsaw dies under load

Old 11-27-04, 02:00 PM
austin
Visiting Guest
Stihl chainsaw dies under load

My faithful stihl 024 chainsaw would start but not run today. Noticed the fuel line was seriously degraded. Changed the fuel line and filter. Now the saw starts and runs, but wants to die under load. I can keep it running if I feather the throttle, but it still wants to bog down and quit. If I open the throttle fully it quits instantly. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 04:18 PM
You need to take your carb off and clean it really well with automotive gumout spray cleaner. There should be two adjustment screws on it, remove them to clean the tiny holes on them. If they have limiter caps on the adjustmens, pry them off with a pair of plyers so that you can remove the screws. Let us know how it goes

Old 11-28-04, 01:29 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
U could try adjusting the low mixture screw. Turn it out 1/8 turn ata time see if it will pick up. If your high is adjustable, at full throttle adjust it in until it sounds like its gonna come apart then back it out 1/8 to a 1/4 turn. Recheck to see that there is no hesitation from idle to full, if so adjust the low screw.
If that doesnt get ya, make sure your filter is installed correctly with flow going the right direction, and there are no kinks or blockage in the new line.

If none of that helps, then your previous filter did its job all it could just not long enuff, and most likely will need to disasemble and clean the carb and or replace the diaphram.

Old 12-03-04, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by austin
My faithful stihl 024 chainsaw would start but not run today. Noticed the fuel line was seriously degraded. Changed the fuel line and filter. Now the saw starts and runs, but wants to die under load. I can keep it running if I feather the throttle, but it still wants to bog down and quit. If I open the throttle fully it quits instantly. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
I don't know how bad your fuel line was degraded, but could some of it have worked it's way "downstream" and cause a blockage before the carb? I'm thinking in the fuel pump? (do saws have fuel pumps?) I'm just thinking out loud here, but I know this happens in tractors where the diaphram fuel pump gets crud in it and then can't deliver the proper amount of fuel.

Old 12-03-04, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, I'd say the carb needs cleaning at least, rebuilding at most. You might get by with adjusting the mixture screws, but I think the high speed screw will be more likely to have more of an effect.

Old 12-10-06, 05:55 AM
Under load

I work at a stihl dealer, 98% of all saws that come in need a good carb cleaning and adjustment to factory specs. Too many people turn the screws not knowing what they are doing. and also the air filters are not that efficient and they get dirty quick. sometimes you can just take them apart and clean and sometimes a rebuild kit is ness. Good luck!

Last edited by rlh74; 12-10-06 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-06, 05:58 AM
Exclamation no fuel pump in stihl

there are no fuel pumps in those saws
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
I don't know how bad your fuel line was degraded, but could some of it have worked it's way "downstream" and cause a blockage before the carb? I'm thinking in the fuel pump? (do saws have fuel pumps?) I'm just thinking out loud here, but I know this happens in tractors where the diaphram fuel pump gets crud in it and then can't deliver the proper amount of fuel.

Old 12-11-06, 10:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Every stihl I've seen does have a fuel pump. It is in the carburetor. The fuel pump is a diaphragm on one side of the carb.

In any case, this thread is from 2004. I doubt it's important to anyone by now.

Old 12-10-07, 09:45 PM
Wink not to late

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Every stihl I've seen does have a fuel pump. It is in the carburetor. The fuel pump is a diaphragm on one side of the carb.

In any case, this thread is from 2004. I doubt it's important to anyone by now.
Thanks Cheese
The archives are timeless when an in depth search is completed. I personally have found many solutions already addressed without further ??s. Good men, keep up the good work

Old 12-10-07, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by rlh74 View Post
I work at a stihl dealer, 98% of all saws that come in need a good carb cleaning and adjustment to factory specs. Too many people turn the screws not knowing what they are doing. and also the air filters are not that efficient and they get dirty quick. sometimes you can just take them apart and clean and sometimes a rebuild kit is ness. Good luck!
So do I, its alright!

Last edited by cheese; 12-10-07 at 11:20 PM.