Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clinton Engines

12-02-04, 01:37 AM   #1  
Clinton Engines

My Father 'N' Law is offering to pass his fathers 3 Clinton engines down to me. I haven't seen them and do NOT have any model numbers yet. I've been told one of them still runs. I'm wondering if there is parts available for these engines, service manuals , Etc.? Were the engines well built? Please give me your openion(s) on going to the trouble to rebuild them? While I expect to keep them in the family I'm wondering if these engines are in demand, what are they worth, if anything? Thanks in advance for your help. Ron

Sponsored Links

12-02-04, 08:35 AM   #2  
Do a Google search for 'clinton engine' and you will find some interesting history about the company. It looks like parts may still be available from a couple of sources. I remember those engines as they were made in a factory about 35 miles to the north and there were plenty of them here in this area. You still see them at antique/classic shows.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-03-04, 11:59 PM   #3  
A lot of clinton parts and literature is available on Ebay. Some of them were decent enough engines. Some have value, some don't. I haven't ever seen one worth a great deal of money but they can run a few hundred dollars depending on model and condition. I'm not an authority on this though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-01-08, 05:27 PM   #4  
I just got a hand tractor (power plow) out of the woods, and was very supprised as to the excelent condition everything's in. When I was looking at the engine, I kept thinking it was a late '70's B&S, but it's actually a Clinton 404-XXXX-XXX series. When I pulled the pull start, it felt just about like my push mower (which I do mow with)--a little rougher on account of all the mud I'm finding among the external parts. It isn't pretty at the moment, but I think by cleaning the carbeurator and giving it a new fuel cell and ignition coil, it will be running after sitting 30+ years out in the woods under a washtub.As far as the rest of the hand tractor, I'll just need some new wheels for it and it should be good to go. I'm currently looking for info on the whole thing, and am slowly getting there. A place out of Tulsa seems to have some parts for it.

FL

03-01-08, 06:03 PM   #5  
Maybe a service manual for Clinton engines will help ?

Click on Walk behind mowers then Clinton;

http://web.ebscohost.com.oh0105.opli...0sessionmgr109

Have fun with it.....

MO

03-02-08, 10:45 AM   #6  
You can or could in 7/05 get Clinton parts from
Clinton Engines Corporation
605 East Maple Street
P.O. Box 860
Maquoketa, Iowa, 52060-0860
Phone- 563-652-2411 Fax- 563-652-3427

I got some gaskets from them for a 5hp boat motor. Have a good one. Geo

As an added note the above wanted $15.00 for a condenser plus $6.00 shipping and my local small engine shop sold me one that looked identical for $3.00 in a plastic bag that said genuine Tecumseh parts.

Last edited by geogrubb; 03-02-08 at 11:10 AM.

Search this Thread