Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCulloch Chainsaw bar oil leak

Visiting Guest

12-03-04, 10:31 PM   #1  
jdjany
McCulloch Chainsaw bar oil leak

I have several McCulloch PM605,610,650 / Timberbear chainsaws. I usually buy them second hand and rebuild them as a hobby. I find that these saws commonly develop bar oil leaks. The oil leaks through the bar oiler port located directly behind the bar. It seems that a vacuum is created when the oil cap is snug and the saw is not running. The bar oil slowly and continuously leaks. What is the problem...somebody please help me...it is driving me absolutely crazy!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-03-04, 11:16 PM   #2  
Hello jdjany!

You are right, it is common. I hate to say it, but you'll pretty much have to live with it. You may be able to replace the oiler parts with new ones to stop or lessen the leak, but no guarantees. Wish I could tell you better news.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-04-04, 09:50 PM   #3  
jdjany
I certainely appreciate your reply, however unfortunate news, but I have been thru the oil pump and the diaphram and internal components seem to be in very good order. There has to be a more scientific explanation. My mechanical engineering degree will not let me settle with this problem and to be completely honest, I have exhausted all possibilities and have absolutely no clue as to why the saws are leaking. I'm losing sleep!!! I noticed the oil caps seem to have a vent mechanism that allows for normal thermal expansion and contraction of the bar oil. Could this be the problem? Maybe the vented cap isn't allowing the oil pan to emmit the trapped pressure caused by the thermal expansion of the bar oil and it is consequently following the path of least resistance which just happens to be thru the oiler port around the bar and onto my garage floor!!! I don't know.... I wonder if the oil pump could be simply out of adjustment? I haven't quite mastered exactly how the pump adjustment works seeing as I have no manual for the saw. I know that the bar is sufficiently oiled while operating but maybe the flow could be restircted by adjusting the oiler to where it didn't continuously leak after the saw is turned off. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I need help!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-05-04, 12:29 AM   #4  
You probably won't stop the leaking by adjusting the oiler. I haven't spent a whole lot of time trying to stop the leaks because most if not all of them seem to do it. The vent is a good place to look but I think it takes more pressure to work the vent than it does to push oil out the oiler. If you find the problem, I'd like to hear it. I have pretty much always taken it for granted that those things just leak.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread