Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

5HP Tecumseh Electrical

Visiting Guest

12-04-04, 12:56 PM   #1  
Odikia
5HP Tecumseh Electrical

Have just put a new ignition into my snowblower. But I don't know exactly where it needs to be set for it to start and run properly. It was my mistake for not paying attention to where the old one was set at when I removed it. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Would like to have this up and running before any heavy snow strikes.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

12-04-04, 06:10 PM   #2  
Odikia
First off did you replace the whole ignition system...points/cond and coil?
I'm going to assume you did and have the internal coil on your ignition system so you will need a feeler gauge to gap the points plus a dial gauge and either a analogue meter or a continuity light to set the ignition timing.
I will need your model, type and serial number for your motor to give you the BTDC specs for timing. Plus you can go here and d/l a pdf version manual for your motor. It will explain how to time your ignition. http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
If you have trouble...come back and we will set you straight.

snoman

Visiting Guest

12-05-04, 07:03 AM   #3  
Odikia
5Hp Tecumseh Electrical

Will check out the site you sent. But the information you requested is as follows.

Craftsman 2-cycle engine: Model Number 143.975001. It has a solid state ignition in it. Although it's a Craftsman snowblower by brand it has the 5Hp Tecumseh engine.

Thanks for your reply.

CANADA

12-05-04, 07:54 AM   #4  
Odikia
My apologies...I gave you a link for a 4 cycle engine (I assumed that was what it was)oops. For your engine, since it has the electronic ignition, all you have to do is loosen the coil and set the gap between it and the flywheel to .0125 and your timing is set. If you want a pdf manual for your engine, pm me with your email and I'll send you one.

snoman

Search this Thread