3.5 briggs and stratton governer?

Old 12-05-04, 08:23 PM
chawin
Visiting Guest
Question 3.5 briggs and stratton governer?

I have a 3.5 hp briggs and stratton model#:91232 i here all obout governors and governors coming out of the engine block or somewhere, but on mine there is nothing coming out of the engine block to the trottle(butterfly) just a plate that catches wind of the flywheel to move throttle or is this not the governer at all and if not where is it and is it adjustable and for this engine what is the max rpm range with this governor and what does the governer do?
THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-04, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello chawin!

Yes, the wind vane is the governor on that engine. It senses engine speed by the wind moved from the flywheel fins. When the engine slows, the wind is decreased, and the governor spring moves the wind vane closer to the flywheel and the throttle open. When the engine speeds up, it blows the vane enough to overcome the spring and closes the throttle. Changing the position of the spring changes the governed engine rpm. It can be adjusted by bending the metal tab that the spring connects to increase/decrease spring tension. The rpms can range from 0 to whatever the engine will do.

Old 12-06-04, 05:07 AM
chawin
Visiting Guest
Talking thanks

Thank you for the info. if i go full throttle will this hurt the engine, it will decrease engine life if run like that cause that would be the faster wear and tear get at it, but should i go about 400 rpm's lower at least than max RPM?
Thanks, i am farely knowledgeable about the engine and how it runs and whats within it but i here about other peoples governers coming out of the block then i started wondering and it through me off and i thought that was the governer and it was. THANKS Cheese!

Old 12-06-04, 11:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would set the governor to the specified rpm. The engine performs best and cools best at that rpm. 400 lower probably won't hurt anything, but I don't think it will help anything either.