Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh engine pulsates

Visiting Guest

12-19-04, 10:42 AM   #1  
jimtass
Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh engine pulsates

Having a problem with my Ariens Swo-Thro. Model 924121. Went to start it for the first time (second season) and although it started on first pull, when it idles there is a strong pulsating noise. I've fiddled with the choke and engine speeds without any luck. - continous pulsation. Is this normal? I don't recall this when running the machine last year.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

12-19-04, 11:07 AM   #2  
jim
That's a pretty new blower so I'm wondering if you have an emission style carb on there. The way to tell is to look under the float bowl and see if the nut that holds the bowl on has a screw right in the middle of it. If it doesn't then that would mean you have a non adjustable carb. Plus if I'm correct on an emission carb, the low speed is also non adjustable. The pulsating you're referring to is called "hunting"
With the emission carbs, they are designed to run "lean" so the hunting happens. When you get into a load of snow, it evens out and runs strong.
The other case scenario would be that your carb may need a cleaning but without seeing the type of carb and such, it's hard to exactly say.
I hope this helps.

snoman

Visiting Guest

12-20-04, 04:56 PM   #3  
jimtass
Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh Engine Pulsates

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Yes,it is relatively new, 1128 was purchased last year. I do see a single nut on the bottom of the bowl which in turn must mean it's a non adjustable. I guess I'll just wait for some snow and see what happens.

It's weird in that I don't recall noticing the "hunting" last season. The hunting seems excessive in that it really revs high, just like someone was taking the engine speed level and raising it up about half way, then back down and up, etc. It's very consistant and does not sputter whatsoever.

Again, thanks for your help. - Jim

CANADA

12-20-04, 06:16 PM   #4  
jim
You're welcome and let me know how it works when you get a chance to use it.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-11-05, 07:14 AM   #5  
Bigzome
Same problem here

I have the exact same problem. I bought the 1128 from HD last year. It ran and idled fine all last season. It was hard to start the first time this winter, but after it started the first time, it started easily there after.

I too, now have that nasty 'hunting' idle problem. When the machine encounters the snow, it immediately adjusts and runs normally with alot of power. But as soon as you take away the load, it starts to 'hunt' again.

Are you saying that there is really no way to adjust this?

Thanks for your help,
John

CANADA

01-11-05, 12:29 PM   #6  
Bigzome
Exactly, with the emision carbs, there is nothing adjustable. The Tecumseh team has designed it that way to run lean so we can do our part in reducing emissions.

snoman

Search this Thread