Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing a Clutch on a Briggs Model 60102

12-19-04, 05:13 PM   #1  
Removing a Clutch on a Briggs Model 60102

Well here's one for someone to hit out of the park. I'm reasonably well educated and maybe thats the problem but I can't get the Clutch off this old Briggs for the life of me? I haven't tried to do it on one of these in 20 years; so I'll blame it on time and my old age. The full Briggs numbers are 60102, 0294-01, 76082001. I have a flywheel wrench and a Clutch Wrench. Is this thing just frozen up or is there a trick to this. "Thanks", in advance for any and all the help I can get. Ron

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-19-04, 09:11 PM   #2  
Hello Bigwind!

On stubborn clutches, you can use a block of wood and a hammer to "shock" it loose. Forget the flywheel wrench, just put the block of wood on one of the ears or tabs on the edge of the clutch where the screen bolts to it and strike the wood with a hammer in a manner that would make the clutch turn counter-clockwise. A few strikes usually does it.

I see you're in the FL panhandle. Can't be too far from me...I'm just a little north of Tallahasse across the FL/GA line.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-20-04, 12:19 AM   #3  
Excellent !

Great Advice. I know this will work so I can't wait until morning to try it ! I'll post the outcome ASAP. Well, you had the right answer for me several weeks ago and you've come through again. I live in the SUB-BURBS of Havana. It is really a small world! I'll try to learn how to send you a private message. If you know how, and I'm sure you do, just send me a quick e-mail & I'll reply with all my local contact information. Didn't have any idea that I was located so close to anyone using the Forum. I've learned a lot here! Again, I really appreciate you and all the others who give us 'Newbies' the benifit of your personal experience. Thanks again, Ron

12-20-04, 05:48 PM   #4  
It Worked, However, I think the Clutch is history?

Mike and Cheese, Both of you were critical. I WD-40'd it, Liquid Wrenched it, and 3 in 1 oiled it while striking the ears with a block (Actually several) blocks of wood and a hammer. It took a while but finally it broke loose. **** Now I need you to tell me if the old clutch is history? *** When I got it off and was going to set it aside I could near what sounds like a ball bearing rolling around. I screwed it back on and it didn't want to freewheel? Is it dead or is there something I need to know about replacing it? Thanks again, Ron. (Cheese I've tried to send you a private message but I'm not at all sure it has reached you...let me know! I'm located somewhere between 8 and 23 miles from you.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-21-04, 07:47 PM   #5  
Hi Ron!

I received the PM and sent you one in return.

There are 6 small bearings in the clutch. You can repair the clutch by removing the tin cover and cleaning it out. The bearings commonly get rusty/grimy and stick. Clean the bearings and the housing and use no oil. Inside, where the crankshaft fits through the clutch, is where you want to add some oil. Also, make sure you get the clutch tight enough upon re-installation. If not, the flywheel key will shear when you start the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread