need help with kohler 23 hp engine problem

Old 12-21-04, 11:40 AM
got boost?
Visiting Guest
need help with kohler 23 hp engine problem

craftmans gt3000 garden tractor, about three years old. it has about 100 hours on it, and has always run well. it sat (due to travel) for about two/three months, now it won't run well. it starts up just fine, but only runs at an idle and only with the choke fully on. I can't get it to run much better after cleaning the air filter and running fresh gas with gas system cleaner. to start it originally, i used starting fluid and itsemed to run okay at full throttle. this makes me think it has something to do with the fuel system/carb. the carb linkage seems to be clean and free moving. i'm going to give it one more try before taking it in to the repair shop.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-04, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello!

Sounds to me like the carburetor needs cleaning out. It may even have a bit of water in the bowl. Chances are, you can just drop the bowl and clean it out and spray some carb cleaner through the passages in the carb and things will go back to normal. If not, a more thorough cleaning may be needed.

Old 12-22-04, 07:26 AM
I agree with Cheese. If you know in advance that your machines will be sitting for months at a time, put a gas stabilizer in the fuel and run the engine a few minutes to prevent varnish and gum from forming in the carb.