Murray 12hp B&S alternator output

Old 12-22-04, 06:32 PM
weasel
Visiting Guest
Murray 12hp B&S alternator output

Anyone know the max watts I can draw off the alternator ? Some of you may recall that last year I was trying to fabricate a plow. Well I found a smoking deal on a pre-built one. Its for a MTD, but I made it fit. Chains are on the way ( should be here tomorrow ) The reason I ask about the alternator is I was wondering about some extra lighting in case I have to plow in the dark ( and maybe a blue one of these )

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 10:13 PM
The engine will generate more than enough power to run a car headlight. If you look online, you will probably find Airens Snow Blower replacment headlights, which you can then use as a headlight for plow. Good post.

Old 12-22-04, 10:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello weasel!

Most 12hp briggs engines should have at least a 9 amp alternator. That's enough to add some extra lighting. Some have dual alternators...one of the alternator wires is specifically for lighting, and will not draw from the battery charge. It is the wire without the diode. If you power your lights from it, it will not drain the battery if you forget to turn them off when you shut the engine off. (because they won't stay lit with the engine off). If you power them from the battery, of course, they will stay lit with the engine off.

Old 12-23-04, 11:19 AM
weasel
Visiting Guest
Cool ! I think that I have only the one alternator then. I was thinking a pair of small work lights ( 35w ) and I think I'll go with strobes if I was the blue lighting ( pretty sure they draw less power than a typical incandescent/halogen bulb ). Now if I can find some blue led strobes, then that'd be just about ideal ...

Thanks !