Snow Boss 55

Old 12-24-04, 12:17 PM
Snow Boss 55

First snow blower, would like any advice or opinions from anyone familiar with this or similar models.

The chute seems to want to plug so easily and then snow from the turbine just kickes out ahead of the unit. I go slow and try to let it take only what it seems to want but this is endless. It helps if I bite into the snow a little at a time but it is time consuming.

Does anyone know what this unit is rated for in inches of snow? Is there any adjustments on the belt, or anything else I can do to improve performance? Is there something I can spray inside the chute and turbine area so snow won't stick and ice up?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-04, 12:40 PM
snow boss 55

Belts loose or not adjusted right,adjust per manual. Oil on them? Put blower in warm spot, make sure auger,impeller and chute are dry. DISCONNECT PLUG WIRE!!!!!! Use pam or other cooking oil spray, spray bucket, auger, impeller, chute. Do this before the next snow.Others will chime in with more ideas!!
T.J. terry

Old 12-25-04, 07:18 AM
White Snow Boss 55

Well, I know the unit is a single stage 21" cut made by White. It seems to lose power once I get into the snow. Might it be the belt is slipping around the auger pulley? And would that suggest the belt either needs to be adjusted or replaced? What should normally happen if the auger housing is overloaded and the chute full of snow? Does the auger continue to drive? Should the engine stall?

Thx

Old 12-27-04, 06:27 AM
Anyone out there?

Old 12-27-04, 07:06 AM
trs4594
What is the HP of your machine? The efficiency of snow throwing comes down to a couple of things. HP, design of the impeller/auger, speed of the impeller/auger and resistance in the chute.
I don't know how old your machine is but I've serviced a few single stage machines and I've never seen them blow as good as a 2 stage unit. None the less as long as you don't have to shovel, it's doing it's job.
Check the belt tension, sometimes people put aftermarket belts on their machines and they may be just a tad too long which would make the auger/impeller slip or spin a little slower than it was designed for.
Depending on the size of area that you have to work with, it might be worth a look to see if you can find an older Ariens (my choice) or something comparable in a 2 stage unit.
I don't want to come across as a single stage hater (which I'm not) but you have to factor in the type of work it has to do and how well you wish to do it.
Single stage units are a little less costly than their 2 stage brothers but with cost savings comes drawbacks.

snoman

Old 12-27-04, 07:35 AM
Thx for the info

I picked the 5 hp unit up 2 yrs ago when it was a 1yr old trade in-the owner wanted a 4 cycle instead of a 2 cycle-and he hadn't used it too much so it was like new. Our small town dealer sold it to me for a fair price (first time snow thrower owner) so it made sense to spend low on a first time adventure.

He figured it would be fine for my 50' front walk and 22x38 concrete drive for the amount of snow we normally get in nw Ohio. It is an electric start and seems to run just fine, remember it's fairly new. My concern is in not overwhelming it by asking too much, but what I find happening is written in the previous posts.

After looking at the drive belt and how it is set up, what little adjustment there is, etc it seems that the belt would slip around the auger drive pulley before the motor would stall. If the belt were stretched the idler would not hold it with enough tension, right? For as new as it is, the belt does look beat up and worn a bit which indicates to me it prob does slip. Would belt dressing help? Maybe replace the belt? Also, is there a lube or something I can spray into the chute chamber etc to help with the clogging etc?

Thx for the tip on the older model Ariens. I know this post isn't as deeply technical as most but I just wanted to get headed in the right direction.

Thx again

Old 12-27-04, 09:52 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hello trs4594,
I am not experienced on snow blowers per say but this suggestion certainly sounds worth trying.
Originally Posted by bmwe0692
Belts loose or not adjusted right,adjust per manual. Oil on them? Put blower in warm spot, make sure auger,impeller and chute are dry. DISCONNECT PLUG WIRE!!!!!! Use pam or other cooking oil spray, spray bucket, auger, impeller, chute. Do this before the next snow.Others will chime in with more ideas!!
T.J. terry
Also if the machine was used at all, and the belt may be slipping, Replace it! The first belt on a new machine will last the shortest lenght of time generally. The machine has to break in which puts added stress on it, not to mention the fact that who ever used it had to learn how causing perhaps unknown stress and may have even jammed at one time possibly burning up the belt. I also agree with a comment on belts in this thread or another think it was snoman, buy the manufactures belt. Others can be had and for less money, however at least with mowers, the cheaper options never seem to pay off and rarely match exactly.
Just a couple pennies....
GL
Az

Old 12-27-04, 10:45 AM
trs4594
Okay now I have more info on the machine...thank you. From your description now, it's a 2 cycle correct? Now we have something else to look at, It will probably be a Tecumseh engine and you should find out what the RPM's for that motor are. It may be that you are not revving as much as it's supposed to. You can find that info out by going to the small motor dealer and looking at the micro fiche # 30 I believe but you will need the model and type of the motor.
As for the belt, they will wear on the sides first which will cause the belt to drop further into the pulley...hence slippage.
You can try some sort of spray on silicone or Pam on the inside of your chute to see if that helps matters.
My first thing would be to change the belt and check the RPM's.

snoman

Old 12-27-04, 03:51 PM
Now we're talkin....

I went ahead and replaced the belt. She ran like a little monster, couldn't ask for more.

Thx to all,

Tom

Old 12-27-04, 05:25 PM
trs4594
It's nice when it works out good.
Glad to have helped.

snoman