Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bent Crank

12-26-04, 07:02 PM   #1  
Bent Crank

Is it safe to have the crank straightened or should it just be replaced? My daughters husband hit a stump on a brand new $700 mower with a 6.5Hp Briggs and bent the crankshaft.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-26-04, 08:58 PM   #2  
sceptre
mowfixer,
i have disassembled a few briggs and have managed to straighten the shafts, but it takes a lot of patience to get it right though. then you have to check the pto bearing also for damage. it's your judgement call....

robert

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-26-04, 09:06 PM   #3  
Hello mowfixer!

I have heard both sides....that it's safe, and that it's not. Personally, I have never seen any problems with a straightened crankshaft, and wouldn't be afraid to use one that was straightened. If it were me, I'd get it straightened. You'll probably have a sheared flywheel key too, and a bent blade possibly. As mentioned, there could be damage to the pto bearing, but usually not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

12-27-04, 05:33 AM   #4  
mowfixer
I don't straighten cranks anymore, I just replace them and know it's done properly.
When I've had to straighten cranks, there were a few things to contend first. The whole motor had to be together for the crank straightener to mount up. The crank had to be long enough to (sticking out of the engine block) to allow the straightener to work. The bottom engine case had to be checked for cracks due to the mishap. It can be done but if you think it's straight and you find out later it's not, you have to tear the engine down again later and most likely change the crank.
So my opinion on this is just to bite the bullet and replace the crank, seal, gasket and if you want to do a complete job, the rings also.

snoman (been there...done that....)

Search this Thread