Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Broken Housing

NY

12-26-04, 08:54 PM   #1  
Broken Housing

I have a 5 HP Briggs engine in great condition except the crankcase is cracked by the drain plug, leaks oil like crazy, can this be fixed? I can take it apart, can this be welded or epoxyed, its on a Vibratory Plate Compactor. The Vibration probaly cracked it in the first place.
Thanks Frank

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-26-04, 09:11 PM   #2  
Hello Frank!

It can be welded. You'll probably have to take it to a machine shop/welding shop with aluminum welding equipment. It takes experience to weld aluminum. I would drain the oil, clean the area very well with carburetor or brake cleaner, and tap the crack closed with a hammer before getting it welded.

JB weld epoxy will often fix stuff like this, but since it's on a vibratory tamper, I wouldn't suggest it. It may not hold well enough. If you try it, clean the area as suggested, then before tapping the crack shut, work some JB weld into the crack. Then get it to close and scuff the area over and around the crack with 60 grit sandpaper and coat the area with a layer of JB weld.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-27-04, 09:36 AM   #3  
Azis
Cheese how bout takin the JB weld step one further, take the case apart and also patch the inside with JB weld...?

NY

12-27-04, 10:55 AM   #4  
Thanks for the answers guys. I was wondering can I weld it myself, I saw this commercial on TV that showed rods being heated with a propane torch, it looked like they were soldering the repairs. Does anybody remember the name of this product and where I can get it.
Thanks Frank

12-27-04, 11:35 AM   #5  
This product or application sounds like simple brazing or as you said soldering. A propane torch will not melt the base metal to the filler. The vibration from the compactor will likely cause this to fall out, or at best it will leak as before. A good welding shop could tig this crack up for you if this housing is NOT cast or pot metal( air bubbles in both materials compromise the weld). If this is cast iron then it might possiably be brazed up but they will use a hotter torch. You may want to think about putting the motor on a vibration damper to minimize this in the future.

Good luck with your project

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-27-04, 07:53 PM   #6  
Frank,

I know the stuff you're talking about. I've seen it in use in person. Trust me, those guys make it look much much easier than it is. It takes a lot of practice to get to use it like the guys who demo it. Like Majakdragon said, it is likely to work it's way loose again in the application it's used in anyway. I think real welding would be the only repair that I would put faith in.

Azis, It could be done if the crack is accessible from inside the crankcase (I was thinking it was at the threads of the drain plug, but not sure). Even so, that would be a lot of trouble for a repair that may not hold up anyway. I still think getting it welded is the best option.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-29-04, 11:32 PM   #7  
I had the same problem

I had a crack in the threads of the oil drain on an old 'hand me down' B&S 11 horse on a craftsman rider. I went the epoxy route and it worked OK but after about 10 yard mowings it's beginning to leak...slow but it is leaking. Weld it and be sure. Gook luck, Ron

Search this Thread