3.5 hp briggs and stratton question?

Old 12-29-04, 11:23 PM
chawin
Visiting Guest
Question 3.5 hp briggs and stratton question?

I have the 3.5 hp briggs&stratton model#91232 and i was wondering what the max rpm is on that engine. i know that the governed rpm is 3300 rpm but that is governed, i was wondering what full throttle rpm is? the maxx horsepower is reached at 3600rpm(3.5) and max torque at 2800rpm. is the 3600 rpm max rpm out of this engine. i have heard that 4000 rpm is the max on this engine but im not sure what to believe cause these people arent proffesionals. This engine is brand new and i put it into a mini chopper and i got a tach for it to read the rpm for it, but i want to know max rpm so that when im riding i can know where and how close i am to max rpm and to make sure that i am not over revving. SO PLEASE all i want to know is what the MAX RPM on this engine is?? thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 11:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The max rpm is not determined. Max rpm varies from engine to engine, even of the same model, depending on a lot of variables (altitude, fuel quality, exhaust, etc..). Running an engine at max rpm will ruin it in short order. Max reccomended rpm is probably 3600. I would not exceed that.

Old 12-30-04, 10:49 AM
chawin
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice cheese!! i was curious and didnt want to ruin a new engine. thanks for the help

Old 12-30-04, 10:57 AM
chawin
Visiting Guest
One more question? When at idle what is an ideal idle rpm for a small engine.1000-1500 or even higher? So what is an ideal idle for a small engine such as the 3.5 hp

Old 01-01-05, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can idle it down as low as you want as long as it keeps running.

Old 01-02-05, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
If you want long engine life I would keep the govenor set to 3'300 rpm. Change the oil regularly & keep the air filter clean and your engine will run for a very long time at anything under 3'600 rpm.

For a longer life you want your bike geared (sprocket sizes) so the engine is not lugging. You don't want to run the engine for long periods with a high manifold pressure (throttle open a lot) and low rpm. The engine splashes the around inside for lubrication so more rpms equals more splashing and better lubrication. Your ear can tell you how it's doing. Listen to some push lawn mowers. When you push one through too heavy grass you can hear the engine get a lower tone as the throttle opens more but the high load is dragging down the rpms.