skid plate adjustment

Old 01-02-05, 08:52 AM
sod
skid plate adjustment

My dad recently gave me a 1985 Toro 7/24 snowblower. The machine runs fine, but the skid plates need to be adjusted. I've searched but can't find a good layman's explanation of how to adjust the plates except to use paint stir sticks. Can anyone help me out, please. My drive way is concrete and flat except for the aprion. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 02:50 PM
skid plate adjustment

FIRST!!!
PUT BRAIN IN SAFETY MODE!!!
The use of paint sticks is to help to adjust the skids that are on the sides of the machine.
Place machine on smooth and level surface.
Place the two paint sticks end to end under the scraper bar that rides on the pavement, so you can get an 1/8 inch clearance between the scraper bar and the pavement.
Loosen the bolts that hold the skid shoes on to the sides of the snow bucket.
Lower the shoes to the pavement-making sure they are level and not tilted-so the flat part of the shoe makes full contact with the pavement.
Re-tighten the bolts-keeping the shoes-flat on the pavement.
BE sure to check oil,belt tightness,all controls-so they work as they should,grease the zerks that need grease, check and oil linkage,
Remove paint sticks and have at it!!!!
ALSO!!! if you are going to be using your blower on gravel-you will need to raise the scraper bar higher(maybe up to an 1" or more)and lower the shoes to keep the scraper bar from digging into the gravel!!
Don't want to have to rake all the gravel out of your yard next year.
Could also go on to Toros web-site with model and serial number and see if you can get the manuals for your machine.
Happy snow-blowing!!!
T.J. terry

Old 01-03-05, 03:37 PM
sod
Thanks TJ Terry,

I appreciate you help and advice. Now if we could only gets some snow here in Minnesota. Snow tracks north and south of us. Bring on the BIG ONE.

Old 01-03-05, 05:33 PM
RE; skid adjustment

Glad I could help. Could you follow my post without any trouble?? let us know how the blower does on the snow. IF and WHEN you get any snow!!!!
Check in any time, if you have more ?. There are a lot of educated and more knowledable posters than I, on here. Just about anything and everthing you ever wanted to know about anything and everything!!!
All in all a great group of posters
T.J. terry