Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

SnowBlower Recommendations

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 03:50 PM   #1  
aham23
SnowBlower Recommendations

Midwest guy here staring down our first real winter snow storm. The time has come to get a thrower and get one quick. I am looking at the $500 to $600 range, 2 stage, somewhat compact as my garage space is limited. Yardmachine, Toro, Craftsman, Troy Built, ect............all their basic low end 2 stages have the same motor (Tecumseh Snow King 5.5hp) so which would you recommend? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-04-05, 05:22 PM   #2  
aham23
I can't tell you what to buy but from my experience working on older machines, Ariens tops my list. Good quality and they love snow, now whether it falls into your spending range I'm not sure. MTD, Yardmachine,Troybilt are more of a lower end machine. They still work in the snow but they lowered the quality to meet the consumers wants. (thinner sheet metal,flimsier gear boxes, more plastic etc)
If you look in the paper you may find a slightly used Ariens that may suit your needs but don't take my advice as gospel cause since I work on them, I can always keep mine running.
So look at what type of snow you have to work with (slushy, hard packed,large area, high drifts) and ask questions. The majority have Tecumseh Snow King engines the rest and most important part is design of the machine.
Just another note, in this past weekend we got about 51 cms of snow and my little 4 hp Ariens loved every minute of it. Including the 9 other driveways I had to do. Oh my driveway is 131 feet long too.
Hope this helps.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-05-05, 12:29 PM   #3  
aham23
I did it !

Well I really wanted to cheap out and get a $300 yard machine with those small little wheels and numerous plastic parts...........BUT no. I walked into Home Depot and what do I see, Ariens snow blowers. News to me that they carry them. Anyway I think they had two or three different models. I got this one, Ariens 5520e , for $599 plus $15 assembly. Now I hope the snow keeps coming! Later.

CANADA

01-05-05, 03:21 PM   #4  
aham23
Man that's a nice looking machine. I think you'll be quite happy with it. I think with all the plugs I'm giving Ariens I should get a kickback....lol
Let it snow....let it snow...let it snow.

snoman

Search this Thread