small engine won't start - step by step HELP pls

Old 01-05-05, 03:31 PM
berbes
Visiting Guest
small engine won't start - step by step HELP pls

hello-

i have a very small craftsman snowblower that is 5 years old or so, and never serviced - in other words - has sat between 5 winters, just getting gas as needed...no oil, maintenance, etc.

now (believe it or not) it won't start as we head into our first snow of winter 6. it still had some gas in it from last year (no gas stabilizer in it ever). not even a hint of wanting to start, just a good workout as i repeatedly pull and pull and pull and pull.

i remember in auto 101 every engine needs air, fuel, and a spark to run...what are the order of steps to find the part mine is missing?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 03:59 PM
Small engine won't start

Post model and serial numbers. If having sat last year with old stale gas in it, the carb is probally varnished up. Will have to remove the carb,clean it,put in new carb kit. Rember how the carb, linkage and throttle wire are located for easy reassembly. Remove plug wire, remove spark plug, reinsert plug into plug wire, ground plug against head of motor, see if good spark.Maybe after 5 years it is time for new plug.Get same brand and number.See if air filter is good, maybe get new one same time as getting new plug.
Others will also post more in depth details of settings and so forth.

T.J. terry

Old 01-05-05, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Checking the spark is pretty easy. Unscrew the spark plug, connect the spark plug wire and let the plug rest on the engine (making electrical contact). Pulling the cord you should see a spark jump across the tip of the plug. Did the engine ever backfire hard or did anything ever suddenly stop the engine dead when it was running (possibly sheering the key on the flywheel and getting the timing off)?

Compression is a bit more difficult to check, but rarely goes really wrong so I'd ignore it on the first pass.

My vote goes to a dirty carb. Do a very thorough job cleaning the carb. You may also want to clean out the fuel tank and replace any fuel line. Little specs of varnish or dirt can clog a jet or keep a needle valve from closing.

Old 01-05-05, 10:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed...check for spark. If spark is present, drop some gas into the plug hole, reinstall plug, and see if it will start and run for a second or two. If so, and it stalls, then a carb cleaning is needed.

Old 01-06-05, 04:50 AM
Instructions on replacing fuel line?

Hi!
I jumped into this post since PILOT DANE suggested replacing fuel line(s) (because of old fuel) as part of a carb clean. I have a Tecumseh HS50-67175C engine. The primer line and fuel line are disconnected from the carb and feel a bit "mushy" (also "mushy" from fuel tank to shutoff valve). My question is - Where are the other end(s) to the primer line to primer, and fuel line (from carb to ...?) How do I get to the other end(s)? Will I have to remove anything to get at these other connections? How do I find out what diameter fuel lines I need? (the mushy ends are kinda hard to measure )

Old 01-06-05, 10:44 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hi Sket,
If you don't have one you can find a copy of your owners manual here, http://www.tecumsehpower.com/framese...uals/index.php
Here also is a service manual which may help.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

If you aquired the tool used, and there is a chance the fuel lines have been replaced before, make sure that the correct type of hose was used. Fuel line will usually get hard and brittle from age and wear. If your lines are "mushy" its possible that vacuum line or another type of hose was used. Vacuum line will be very flexible and have thick wall.
If the manuals don't list what size of hose to use, take a piece with you to your local fixit or auto store, tell em what it goes on and they should set ya up.

Old 01-06-05, 11:25 AM
fuel&primer lines

Azis:
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the Tecumseh site didn't have my engine model (HS50). I DO have the Technicians Handbook you mentioned but neither site referred to the fuel & primer line connections. I've gone online and can get specific part numbers I may need -- I just don't know where the "inner" connections are (the ones visible are obvious - carb+primer line and carb+fuel line). That is, once I purchase the corrrect lines, how do I connect them? Thanks again for helping.

Old 01-06-05, 02:41 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
LH195SA (HSSK50-75) I think this may be the same model as yours. I didnt find any reference to fuel line connections tho either.
I am not familiar with that engine enuff to be of much help.
Someone'll be along with more an idea.

GL

Old 01-06-05, 11:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not familiar with that engine, snowblowers are not found in my neck of the woods. I will venture to say, however, that the fuel line is almost certainly 1/4".

Old 01-07-05, 03:30 AM
Group Moderator
SKET, I don't know the Tech. model numbers, but you asked where the primer line and fuel lines run. Is there a metal shroud covering the carb.? You should be able to see the lines and where they run pretty well once the cover is removed.

Old 01-08-05, 08:27 PM
I just replaced the fuel hose on my tecumseh powered snowblower. It is 1/4". Primer hose I tried was 3/16. Good fit to the carb,but too big for the primer bulb. Ended up using some old auto windshield washer hose that was in my garage.