Toro Snowthrower problem......

Old 01-06-05, 09:53 AM
Toro Snowthrower problem......

I hit the edge of my concrete drive this am....now snowthrower wont come up to speed unless the choke is full on. Take the choke off, the speed dies and the thrower goes to a slow idle. Put load on it, it dies. Using same gas as before when it ran fine. Its a Toro 3 hp snowthower.

Any help or ideas?

thanks...........

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-05, 11:01 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hey Walkerstoo,
Right off it would sound like a carb problem, however since there was a known incident, its possible damage could be the problem. What extent is the damage? Was did the engine die? If so was it sudden? Noises?

3HP Toro? What engine? 2 stroke?

Help us help you....

Old 01-06-05, 12:27 PM
thanks

no noise.....just slowed down.....now dies under load.....will speed up if ran with full choke............

Old 01-06-05, 08:26 PM
toro snowblower problem

Does engine have a flywheel key? Might have partially sheared it!! Really don't know! Just my.02 worth!
T.J. terry

Old 01-06-05, 10:37 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If it will run normally with partial or full choke, then there is prolly a restriciton in the carb. Depending on the carb and engine, it could be a simple cleaning or possibly an adjustment.

Old 01-06-05, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with both suggestions here. It sounds like a carb problem, but could also be a flywheel key partially sheared. The impact could have jarred some trash loose in the carb and caused a restriction, or it could have sheared the key. Check one, if no problems found, check the other.

Old 01-07-05, 06:20 AM
herbharm
Visiting Guest
I have had the same SYMPTOMS with my CRR2000 a couple of times. After a LOT of screwing around, including disassembling the engine, I found the problem to be a stuck throttle lever. This lever can be jiggled by reaching into the rectangular hole on the back underside of the 2000. The lever is about 6" long. I squirted a good deal of lubricant up there and it has run perfectly. Good luck!

Old 01-07-05, 08:35 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Good Point herb,
One reason I asked how it came to a halt, if it had loaded up and backfired or similar, I have seen the throttle plate get slammed and stick open or closed and even break the mounting screws. In which case the cable and external levers may operate and appear normall, while the plate is not moving.
If it were stuck in the closed position, I don't think it would come up to speed regardless of the choke setting. If it were stuck open, the choke would act as a throttle valve however if stuck open there is also the possibility of the engine over reving, which has not been mentioned.
I would agree to verify all throttle linkage for proper operation.