Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower problem

Visiting Guest

01-10-05, 12:30 PM   #1  
nik99
Snowblower problem

Hi, I have a MTD snowblower of a few year old. It's a two stage machine and the model # is 31A-611D129. It starts fine and moves OK. However, it (engine) stops w/ a relatviely high noise as soon as engaging the auger and can't throw any snow. :-(

BTW, I check the 2 shear pins which are fine.

TIA

nik99

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-10-05, 06:11 PM   #2  
nik99
If your engine stalls out with a loud noise as soon as you engage the auger, I'd look for something to be binding or locked up or broken in the auger system. Remove the plastic belt cover and start looking there. Remember to disconnect your plug wire before starting to stick your hands into the auger or pulley area.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-11-05, 11:15 AM   #3  
nik99
Thnx. As you suggested I removed the belt cover and saw two belts. It appeared that the auger belt is too loose -- much looser than the drive belt. Could the auger belt cause the noise and stopped the engine? (where does the noize come from?) I tried to turn the 2 belts and 2 pulleys and could not move any of them. I guess it is designed that way. Right?

What specific steps to follow ? Would it cause some damage if I try to engage the auger again.

BTW, is there any detail manual for this machine available on line?

Thnx again.

CANADA

01-11-05, 12:26 PM   #4  
nik99
Normally the auger belt is loose until you engage it to blow snow. If as you say the engine stops running when the auger is engaged and makes a loud noise, then it sounds like you have a problem there. As I suggested, remove the spark plug and see if you can turn the auger /impeller freely to see if the noise is there. This is going to be a process of elimination to see where the noise is coming from. There may be an auger brake which is not enabling you to turn the pulleys, my big concern is to just check all moving parts that are tied in with the auger to see if something is broken.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-11-05, 02:18 PM   #5  
nik99
Thnx. Can't turn the auger /impeller. That's why I asked if it's OK to try engaging the auger w/ engine on (to see where the noise is coming from.) Oh, yeah, the auger cable tightens only when it's engaged. :-)

"There may be an auger brake which is not enabling you to turn the pulleys."

Know nothing about an auger brake for this machine(there may be none). Is there a detail online manual available for this snowblower?

CANADA

01-11-05, 04:57 PM   #6  
nik99
Yes you can engage the auger when the motor is running but be careful and be safe.
As far as the manual goes, I don't know of any place online that has them.
Yours may or may not have an auger brake.
snoman

02-10-07, 06:56 AM   #8  
Ariens 924 Stalls

Posted By: snoman nik99
If your engine stalls out with a loud noise as soon as you engage the auger, I'd look for something to be binding or locked up or broken in the auger system. Remove the plastic belt cover and start looking there. Remember to disconnect your plug wire before starting to stick your hands into the auger or pulley area.

snoman
My Ariens 924 Snowthrower runs until I engage the auger.
Auger and thower spin but engine stalls.
Belts look good.
Is this a carbuerator adjustment?

CANADA

02-10-07, 08:25 AM   #9  
gman1
Can you give more details about what happens when you engage the auger. Does the motor die completely? Slows down considerably? Make funny noises?

snoman

Search this Thread