Briggs and Stratton stalls after new carb kit

Old 01-11-05, 03:13 PM
Mike H
Visiting Guest
Briggs and Stratton stalls after new carb kit

I have an 8 h.p. Briggs and Stratton which runs a Coleman Powermate generator. Recently the carb started leaking gas. I installed a new carb kit and reinstalled it. I adjusted the idle mixture and needle valves according to owner's manual. I opened the gas valve from the tank and no leaking. The generator started. The generator ran but the RPMs didn't want to level out. I adjusted the needle valve and it ran better. I applied a load to the generator and it ran even smoother under the load. I adjusted the throttle for proper voltage output. During this entire process, the engine stopped several times as if it were out of gas. I would restart with little effort, usually a couple of pulls on the cord. I discovered that as the engine is dying, I can keep it running a while by closing the choke all the way. It runs smoothly, but only at half speed. Eventually it dies. It will restart again. Although I didn't time it, it runs about 3-4 minutes. Model# 190412 Type# 3098-01 Code# 89061310.

Old 01-12-05, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Mike!

Check fuel flow from the tank to the carb. Maybe the fuel line is collapsing internally and blocking fuel flow. Could also be a bad/clogged vent in the gas cap, allowing the tank to vapor-lock. Try loosening the cap a bit. Make sure the fuel cut-off valve is allowing fuel to flow freely.

Old 01-12-05, 09:08 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Possibly a low oil pressure switch also. I have had some that will act like that. Depending on how its wired, you may be able to unplug it to check. Look for a wire and terminal near the oil fill or drain.

Old 01-12-05, 01:19 PM
Mike H
Visiting Guest
Problem Solved-Thanks Cheese

As suggested, I changed the filter and fuel lines. The fuel cap was venting fine. While I was doing that, I pulled the carburetor and and did some minor adjustments to the float, it wasn't sitting quite parallel in the closed position. I put it all back together and it started on the first pull, more importantly, it stayed running until I shut it down. It's hard to say which fix corrected the problem, but the filter was a good idea since it was the original. This particular model doesn't have a low oil pressure sensor and shut off.

Old 01-13-05, 12:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

Old 11-04-07, 12:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vapor Lock!

Son of a gun. My mower was also stalling after 10-15mins and then wouldn't start except w/the choke fully engaged. I replaced the fuel and air filters (they both needed it anyway) and still the same symptoms. I did notice that after letting it sit for 10minutes it would start up again but wouldn't run more than another 15 minutes. I watched the fuel filter and there was almost nothing going through. On the advice I found here, I check the gas cap...it was very tight. I loosened it snug but not tight and damn if the mower didn't start right up - no choke and it ran as long as I needed it to. Vapor lock - go figure!

Thanks - you saved me a carb rebuild!

Old 11-05-07, 02:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Technically, that is not vapor-lock, that is plain old fuel starvation. It sounds like you need to replace your fuel cap due to a plugged venting system. Vapor lock is when the fuel cooks from overheating and goes from a liquid state to a gaseous state.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: