Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

toro 412 snow thrower carburetor

Visiting Guest

01-12-05, 08:51 AM   #1  
xishd8293
toro 412 snow thrower carburetor

hi, i have an old toro snow blower and it is not working correctly. it works for about 30 seconds but then shuts off. i put a full tank of gas in it and it still doesnt work. i think there may be a problem with the carburator? if anyone could help me that woudl be great

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-12-05, 02:12 PM   #2  
xishd8293
sorry i meant 421

CANADA

01-12-05, 03:22 PM   #3  
xishd8293
Okay it's questions time.
4 hp 4 cycle engine 21 inch ?
Was there fuel in the tank from last year?
Is it fresh gas you are using now?
When you say it runs for 30 seconds then dies, will it start up right away after that or do you have to wait a specified time?
Will it stay running if you leave the choke on or partially on?
Let me know.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-13-05, 11:59 AM   #4  
xishd8293
it is 4 horse power, and 4 cycle, and i think when you said 21 inch you meant width? it is 21 inches wide.
also there was no fuel in the tank form last year and it was fresh gas.
it works for 30 seconds and then you need to pull the recoil starter a few times but then it will start again.
and if you leave it on, just running, it will stay going, but if you try to snow blow any snow it will stop.

CANADA

01-13-05, 02:18 PM   #5  
xishd8293
It sure sounds like the carb has some buildup happening in it. Most likely varnishing from old fuel left in the bowl. On the bottom of the carb you should see either a brass looking nut with a screw going through it or just a brass looking bolt.
If you have the one with the screw in it, then what we can do to try and keep you running is richen the fuel mixture up a bit. So turn the screw about 1/4 turn counter clockwise (richen) and see if it will keep running now. If it makes a difference, you may have to richen it up a bit more to be able to blow snow. If it doesn't make any difference then I think it may be pretty gummed up and require a thorough cleaning.

snoman

Search this Thread