Backfiring through the carb

Old 01-17-05, 03:49 PM
Backfiring through the carb

Hi all. I've got a Kohler K241 10 hp tractor that started running rough. It will die, then be really hard to start. Now, I can't get it started. When I crank it and let off the key, it backfires through the carb on the last crank. I've got good spark at the plug, I made sure the points are set at .020" gap. Any ideas? Could it be a dirty carb? It's definitely getting fuel, just can't figure out why she won't catch. I've cleaned the plug, maybe try a new plug before doing anything?

Appreciate any help.

PS - I found a thread that said a yellow/orange spark is weak (which is what I'm getting when I ground the plug). I'll get a new plug and post the results.

Last edited by NotMrWizard; 01-17-05 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 05:38 PM
Put the new spark plug in, and after much cranking, started it up. Lots of black smoke for a few minutes. Ran it at high idle for about 10 min, brought it back down to idle, seems to run fine. I'm not sure if all the black smoke was due to it being flooded, perhaps?

But now another issue! The tractor is a early 60's Colt, with a hydrostatic drive. I've got a puddle of hydraulic fluid on the garage floor. The lines (1 on each side) run up alongside the engine to the radiator, and are connected to the radiator with a short length of rubber hose. When I start it, the hose on the left side balloons up a bit. It looks like this is where it blew out the fluid. It's almost like the return line is plugged somewhere.

Any idea what to look for? Once again, thanks for any help!

Old 01-17-05, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello NotMrWizard!

Just replace the hose. It is leaking through the inner hose into the outer sheathing layer, causing it to balloon out like you described.

The black smoke was from a flooded engine. Sounds like you may have had a bad plug. If it happens again, I'd suggest replacing the condenser.

Old 01-18-05, 04:30 AM
Thanks, Cheese. I should have mentioned that I replaced the condensor a few days ago, that's why I was thinking it may have been the plug. I'll replace the hose and see what happens, it does feel pretty soft.

Thanks!