Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hunting idle on Tecumseh HS50

Visiting Guest

01-19-05, 04:34 PM   #1  
cal55
Hunting idle on Tecumseh HS50

I have a 1979 MTD snow blower with a Tecumseh HS50 motor. When running at full throttle the engine hunts. I put on a new carburetor thinking that would solve the problem but it still runs the same. Any help is appreciated.
Joe

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-19-05, 07:53 PM   #2  
Joe
Have you set the carb? High speed and low speed?
If not ...to do this ...here you go.
We will deal with the high speed screw since you are having trouble with hunting.It's located right under the float bowl. It is a brass nut with a screw going through the center of it.
Start the engine up and let it get to operating temperature. Once there, put it to full throttle. Now turn the high speed screw in(clockwise) till the engine starts to run rough or sputter, remember this position, now turn the high speed screw out (counter clockwise) til the engine starts to run rough or sputter. You now want to go in the middle of these two positions and you should have the carb set to a workable area. Fine tuning may be needed depending on the shape of the engine.
Let me know how it goes.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 06:14 PM   #3  
cal55
Hi Snoman,
Thanks for the reply. The new carburetor doesn't have that adjustment you mentioned as the old carb has. I guess it's a newer emission type design, there are no adjustments except for the idle. I wonder if it could be a bad gasket from the intake manifold to the head? I assume that's what the parts called that the carb is attached to.
Regards,
Joe

CANADA

01-20-05, 07:38 PM   #4  
Joe
Quick question.....even though it's hunting at full RPMs with no load, when you get into a load of snow, does it even out then and run strong?

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-21-05, 03:01 PM   #5  
cal55
Hello Snoman,
Yes it does seem to run better under a full load. At least it did with the old carb, I haven't used the snow blower since I put the new carb on. We're suppose to get about 12" of snow tonight into Saturday, so I'll find out tomorrow I guess. I'll let you know after I use it. Thanks for your replies.

Joe

Visiting Guest

01-22-05, 03:24 PM   #6  
cal55
Hello snowman,
The motor seemed to run pretty good today when snow blowing. It seems like the hunting went away after the motor warmed up or was under load.
Hopefully it will be fine. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Joe

CANADA

01-22-05, 05:00 PM   #7  
Joe
That's good to hear. The new emissions carb is set to run leaner which is the reason for the hunting but when it gets into full snow all that dissapears.
Happy snow blowing.

snoman

Search this Thread