Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 5hp Snowthrower Stalls

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 04:08 PM   #1  
the jackal
Tecumseh 5hp Snowthrower Stalls

I have 1984 Tecumseh 5hp Hs 50 engine on a snowthrower. It had hard starting problems where the carb would flood up with gas. I replaced the carb with a new non-adjustable one and also replaced the spark plug. It still starts hard, once it fires up it seems like its backfiring or misfiring. In addition after using it for 20-25 minutes its does not want to stay running anymore. It can be restarted however after a few seconds it will stall. I did check for spark with an inline spark tester, spark seems to be fine. Belts are in good condition, I don't know what else I should be checking.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-21-05, 01:27 PM   #2  
the jackal
Have you changed the spark plug? Sometimes a plug will look good and provide lots of spark when out of the engine but when put under the cylinder pressure, it can work intermitently.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-21-05, 06:18 PM   #3  
the jackal
I did replace the spark plug with the carb. The spark plug was not the same size as the old one, do you think that makes a difference? Should I replace the points or condensor? Your help is appreciated.

CANADA

01-21-05, 09:12 PM   #4  
the jackal
When you say the plug is not the right size ...what do you mean? You need the proper replacement (depth and heat range) to run correctly. If I'm right, it will be an RJ19LM Champion but I don't recommend them because of the trouble I've had with them breaking down. There are many other types out there. But if you're happy with them, go with them. I'm just going by my experience.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-22-05, 07:11 AM   #5  
barclay75
I have the same problem. I have a AMF Snowblower with a Tecumseh HS40 on it. (guessing its about the same age). I replaced the spark plug at the begining of the season. It starts hard, backfires a little, but after a minute it runs well. It will go through any snow including the heavy stuff from the plow. Then after about 20-30 minutes it just stops?? Plenty of gas. Oil is almost at the add line but still in range.

Visiting Guest

01-25-05, 05:05 PM   #6  
the jackal
I did replace the spark plug with the correct one. Everything was same on the plug except the new one had additional metal about 1/4" thick between the porclean and the threads.
Anyway after replacing the plug it works just like new. Thank you for all your help snoman, appreciate it.

Search this Thread