Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh HM80 wont idle with no choke.......

CT

01-21-05, 10:45 AM   #1  
Tecumseh HM80 wont idle with no choke.......

I have an older Bolens snowblower with a Tecumseh HM80 engine. Doesnt seem to be the snow king version (via the serial number), but it does have an adjustable carb.

Started it up this season, and it wouldnt idle with no choke. Just seems to hunt (starts to die, revs back up, starts to die, revs back up, etc). At half choke, it runs just fine (although I havent tried to throw any snow with it running at half choke just yet).

Got a carb rebuild kit, and swapped out all of the parts I could without removing the carb from the engine (snow was on the way, and I didnt get the gaskets that go between carb and engine, so I didnt wanna risk destroying them by taking off the carb). Dropped the bowl, it was clean. Replaced the high speed needle (the one in the bowl), along with the nut, spring, and gasket for it. Also replaced the float needle and spring, idle jet screw and spring, and the gasket between the bowl and the carb. Fired it up, and it seemed to be running OK. Let it warm up and adjusted everything so I had a good idle (even off choke), and it ran steady under load (engaged auger and drive, but not throwing snow because there was none).

That was about 2 weeks ago. I fired it up last night, and voila, hunting idle again. No matter what I did (adjusted high speed needle, looking for where it stopped sputting on the lean end, stopped sputting on the rich end, etc. but it just wouldnt stop sputting) I couldnt get it to idle without hunting and no choke. At half choke, again, it idles perfectly fine, and it stays steady with the auger and drive engaged.

Any ideas how to fix would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!
-Chris

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-22-05, 01:17 AM   #2  
Hello Chris!

Is it old gas you're running in it? If so, change it. It sounds like either old gas, or a restriction in the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

01-22-05, 07:22 AM   #3  
Wouldnt call it "old" Its probably about 3 months old, but I put Stabil in it the day I got it, so it should still at least be OK to use.

I played with it a little today, it seemed like adjusting the idle speed screw has helped. There is very little adjustment from "sputtering lean" to "sputtering rich" on the idle speed screw. But, right in the middle it idles fine with no choke. Set the main needle the same way. Now, when I engage the auger, I get a bog down (normal?) but it doesnt sputter with the auger running. Unfortunately I dont have any snow to test it on, so hopefully even after it bogs down it can handle plenty of snow (because thats exactly what we're expected to get tomorrow!!! 12-18 inches last I heard).

Thanks!!!
-Chris

Search this Thread