riding mower engine only rns high speed

Old 01-21-05, 03:52 PM
Beerstein Ted
Visiting Guest
riding mower engine only rns high speed

I have a Murray riding mower with a 18hp Briggs&Stratton 422707 (type 1263 I think) engine. Initial problem was stalling. Rebuilt fuel pump, new spark plugs. It runs now, but the throttle won't adjust the engine speed. It only runs on high speed. The throttle cable pulls the linkage, and all the springs are attached, nothing seems to be broken. When the engine is off, the governor control lever (ref#227 part#690762 in my partial manual) moves so that the lever on the back of the carburetor bowl it's connected to moves. But when the engine is warm and running, the gov-cntrl-lever does not move, only the parts of the high speed control bracket(222 691366) move when moving the throttle handle.

You can move the governor control lever by hand to make it rev even higher, but it returns to where it was. I adjusted the fuel line screw on the carburetor. That got the engine to slow down, but it returns on its own to fast idle. I tried adjusting the high speed control screw(1136 690329 thru the friction spring on the control bracket). That also seemed to have no effect.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-05, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Ted!

Can you manually move the governor arm and slow the engine down? Did the engine just start doing this all of a sudden? My best guess from your initial description is that the governor spring is too tight. That's the spring connected to the governor arm. It may be attatched to a metal tab that can be bent to increase or decrease tension.

Old 01-26-05, 07:40 AM
Beerstein Ted
Visiting Guest
Smile

Originally Posted by cheese
Hello Ted!

Can you manually move the governor arm and slow the engine down? Did the engine just start doing this all of a sudden? My best guess from your initial description is that the governor spring is too tight. That's the spring connected to the governor arm. It may be attatched to a metal tab that can be bent to increase or decrease tension.
Thanks for your reply - I've been a bit confused. To answer your question - it started this malfunction after I repaired the fuel pump - after the fuel pump was repaired that is with a rebuilt kit - gaskets needle valves and diafrtams etc it seem to work fine and than suddenly it bagan to run a little fast with no throttle adjustment that is it ran only on high and would not throttle down to idle or slow speed.I've looked at the linkage that connects from the panel lever on the console to the carburator it seems to move okay but very loose, spring dones't seem to be doing anything. Think I will clean the area first so I can get a good look at the likage as it is hidden in the backthat is the springs are, but i'll try your suggestion and see what happens. Thanksfor your help I sure appreciate it i If you think of anythink else give beerstein a jngle.
Act ID 74799278