Ariens Model 924042 8 HP Snowblower

Old 01-21-05, 05:31 PM
ziggy1309
Visiting Guest
Ariens Model 924042 8 HP Snowblower

I have an Ariens 8 hp Model 942042 32 inch cut snowblower. I know it's an older model but have always kept up on the maintenance. My problem is when it warms up and I engage the blower it wants to stall. I went to a dealer and got new points and condenser and replaced them. Now I can't get any spark at all.
I have tried replacing with the old points and condenser and all the wires are hoocked up right and still no spark. I replaced the armature at the same marks when I removed it also.
Any sugestions??? I'm stumped
Thanks Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-05, 09:23 PM
ziggy1309
I'm kinda confused right now. Why did you replace the ignition? When you engaged the auger and it stalled did you check the spark to determine if it is ignition related? If it ran ok until the auger was engaged I would look at either a safety switch not being made or a binding or worn part in the auger system first.
Since you already changed the ignition and you removed the armature plate, the timing will now have to be reset. You can put it back to where the bolts originally were but you won't be sure if the timing is where it's supposed to be. Any time you disturb the ignition settings, whether it's replacing the points you should reset the timing. You'll need a dial gauge and a continuity meter to measure when the points open.
I'm going to assume that the motor is an HM80 and the timing should be set at .080 BTDC.
If your coil is too far away, you'll get no spark.
Sorry for being a naysayer but I've experienced this many times.

snoman