Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray lawn tractor starting problem

01-22-05, 04:54 AM   #1  
Murray lawn tractor starting problem

Good Morning. Re: 97 Murray lawn tractor. Model 42536X92 17hp twin 42". I have a no start problem and I do not know where to start to trouble shoot. I am not a mechanic by any means, I am just trying to find something that I may be able to fix. Can anyone help. Here is what happened. The mower started fine after sitting for about two months. It took a couple of cranks because I think I flooded it, but it did start. I used it for about two hours, then turned it off for a lunch break. When I returned, I turned on the key, tried to start it, and nothing happened but a slight "click" noise. I checked to make sure the blade was up. it was. The seat switch was also in the occupied position. I tried to jump it with my truck, but still nothing. I did hear the slight "click" noise. I did try to cross the battery and there was plenty of spark. At this point I don't know where else to look. Any advice would be appreciated. Than You in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-22-05, 10:22 AM   #2  
Trob
There is a starting solenoid on the mower that sounds like it might be the problem. If the battery is hot, you can jump across the solenoid with a pair of pliers or screwdriver and it will crank. Follow the wire from the ignition key to find the solenoid.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-22-05, 09:52 PM   #3  
I agree, it sounds like a bad solenoid. It is probably located under the dash. There should be 2 phillips screws holding a cover over the access hole to the solenoid.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

01-29-05, 08:55 AM   #4  
batt. connections

It could also be a bad connection at either batt. post, either side of soleinoid or connection at starter. Also check ground cable connection at frame.
Mike A

Search this Thread