Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Yard Machine snowblower leaks gas

Visiting Guest

01-22-05, 06:49 AM   #1  
mistysox
MTD Yard Machine snowblower leaks gas

Last week my tuck under garage smelled of gas which carried into the house. My MTD 8 HP snowblower had sprung a leak even though I did not operate it for about a year. I checked the gas tank and it looked empty. I added some seafoam and gas and it started right up and ran well. I ran it last night until it ran out of gas and put it back in the garage. The gas leak needs to be fixed. Anyone else have a similar problem? If so, what was the fix? There appears to be a slow gas drip from the bottom of the carburetor bowl. The oil is good. Anyone know what kind of oil it takes?

[email protected]

Sponsored Links

IL

01-24-05, 12:31 AM   #2  
Gas Leak

Misty,
I have similar problem with Toro 421 Snowthrower. I couldn't get mine started so I did some basic cleanup on the machine; emptied old gas out, replaced old stiff fuel line with new, removed carb (did not disassemble carb, just removed it and cleaned it up with carb cleaner spray), reset idle adjustment screw and bowl adjustment screw. Cleaned electric contacts for shut off switch. I got my engine started but now I've got gas leaking off the carb bowl. If I figure out how to fix this I'll post my solution and maybe it will help you.

Graywolf

Visiting Guest

01-24-05, 10:41 AM   #3  
Azis
Sounds to me as your needle is not shutting off fuel flow in the carb. Could be some debris needs to be cleaned, needle and or seat is bad, float could also be bad. Cleaning and replacement of bad parts should solve the leaks.
Also very important to check your oil for gas. If the level has raised or it smells of gas DO NOT run the engine until oil is changed. 30w oil should be fine but check your owners manuals especially on snowblowers as I am not familiar as much with them and they operate in a different environment and may have acceptions as to what oil to use.

Search this Thread