Transmission

Old 01-22-05, 03:22 PM
sarge404
Visiting Guest
Transmission

HELP! HELP!
8-10" on the ground already and expecting a whole lot more tomorrow. My Ariens ST724 snowblower quit on me just as I finished my driveway. The gerashift operates, when i go to engage the clutch I can see the cable and the outside part of the linkage moving. The clutch is not engaging. Is there some sort of shear pin on the drive axle that may have broken or did my transmission go out on me?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 09:35 AM
sarge
It's a pretty simple drive system, when you pull the traction drive cable, it puts pressure on the friction wheel and voila ...movement. Depending on the position of the friction wheel on the circular steel disk will determine the speed and direction.
So with saying that let's do 2 things here.
1-remove the belt cover and see if your drive belt is ok
2-remove the transmission pan/cover and you will see what I mean about how the drive system works.
You want to see if the disks are being engaged and if so, then you can look at a possible shear pin.
Go to this site and it will have a breakdown of your particular machine, you'll need the model and serial number to narrow down the search. When you get there, click on "parts radar"
http://www.ariens.com/

snoman

Old 01-27-05, 05:07 AM
sarge404
Visiting Guest
Transmission

Thanks for the advice. I did not realize that there were belts. When I found I did check them, and they were in good shape. The problem turned out to be a bolt about 2 1/2" long loosened and fell out of the drive gear. Relatively simple fix and cost nothing to do.