snowblower problems???

Old 01-23-05, 11:57 AM
snowblower problems???

I have an older ariens st824 snowblower (924050 model number).
It ususaly runs good but this year it seems to be reving up and down and i do not know why, it never has done this during the 7 years i have used it. After reading the forums here i belive it might need to have the carb cleaned/rebuilt but my question is do i need to know the engine type before going shopping for a kit? I checked the engine and there is no label of any type to tell me who made it but i do know its an 8hp.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 03:35 PM
shocky
To guarantee that you get the correct kit, you'll need the model and type of the motor. It is usually stamped into the recoil/shroud housing and if you have an electric starter, it may be located right underneath the starter button. It may start with a number like HM80-155074d for example.

snoman

Old 01-23-05, 06:27 PM
thanks ill take a look see what i see.

edit follows

well its a Tecumseh moter
hm80 155276j ser 4166d

but a new issue came up, my brother was messing with the screws on the carb today, one on the bottom of the ball and one on the side just above the ball?

Last edited by shocky; 01-23-05 at 06:59 PM. Reason: better than adding a 2nd reply
Old 01-24-05, 02:04 PM
shocky
Carb kit number for your motor is Tecumseh #632347
Go to this site and d/l a copy of a manual that will aid you in your carb settings and explain in more detail of what I'm about to tell you.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
Screw on the side of the carb is the low speed needle.
Screw on the bottom of the float bowl is the high speed screw.
How to set the high speed screw:
Pre set it by turning it all the way in (but screw it til it stops and don't force it any further) now you will back it out 1 1/4 turns. This will give you enough to start the engine.
Start the engine and let it get to operating temp (usually 1-2 mins)
Now put it to full throttle and start to turn the high speed screw in til the engine starts to run rough or sputter.(remember this position.
Now turn the screw out (counter clockwise) til the engine starts to run rough or sputter. Now go in between these two positions and the high speed should be set.
Setting the low speed screw.
Preset it by turning it all the way in but don't force it, and back it out 1 turn
The setting is exactly the same as the high speed screw except now you will have the engine at idle speed.
Hope this helps.

snoman