Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Snowblower - Leaking Carb

Visiting Guest

01-24-05, 06:56 AM   #1  
danmac
Toro Snowblower - Leaking Carb

My 1984 Toro 3521 two-stage snowblower (model 38035) with a 3.5 hp Tecumseh engine (model H35-45582n) is leaking fuel at the carburetor. I have installed a carb rebuild kit, and a new float. I have a leak at the elbow fitting (pn 631775?) where the fuel line enters the carb. This is a plastic elbow that is pressed onto a metal nipple, which in turn appears to be pressed into the carb. There is no O-ring between the plastic elbow and the metal nipple. How is this supposed to seal? Do I need to remove the metal nipple to replace the elbow? How?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-24-05, 10:53 AM   #2  
Azis
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
You can check this manual, I believe I have seen it here. Unfortunatly I don't think there is a way to replace that elbow. The base carb unit must be replaced if I am correct with my lousy memory

CANADA

01-24-05, 01:48 PM   #3  
danmac
In the manual it says that when cleaning a carb with the plastic elbow, it must be removed prior to soaking and when installing, coat the nipple part that the elbow fits on to with some "Red Locktite"
It's worked for me many times.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-25-05, 04:02 PM   #4  
danmac
Thanks! The book that Azis referenced says to:

Remove fitting:
- remove the plastic part
- pull the metal part by - tapping it's bore, place a nut around the fitting, threading a bolt and nut into the bore, work the nuts against one another as a makeshift puller

Install new fitting:
- coat the new fitting in Locktite grade "A" (?)
- press the new fitting in using a press or vise

So it appears that the new part will have the metal nipple and the plastic elbow pre-assembled as a unit. I have this part on-order.

Visiting Guest

10-30-05, 10:22 AM   #5  
danmac
9 months later with the same snowblower... I pulled the old fuel inlet elbow (threaded a bolt into the metal part, and hammered on the bolt to remove, it took more force than I though it would, but it came out fine) and replaced with a new one using Locktite (pressed in carefully using a C-clamp). This seems to be working fine.

I still have a carb leak. Gas is leaking all over. When I remove the float bowl and gently press upward on the float the needle shuts off the fuel flow properly - no leak. When I have the float bowl installed it leaks pretty bad. I checked the float and it appears to float okay in a cup of gas. Here is the odd part - if I disconnect the primer bulb line the leak stops! When I run the engine it runs fine with the primerer hose disconnected. When I reconned the primer line it gradually runs rougher. Help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-05, 07:58 PM   #6  
Can you remove the primer line from the carb, and blow air back through it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-31-05, 08:06 AM   #7  
danmac
Update: I noticed that new snowthrowers with Tecumseh engines have a small hole in the primer bulb, that is covered by your finger when you push it to prime, but otherwise vents the primer line to the air.

I had to replace the primer bulb and line a couple years ago, the "new" one does not have a hole in the bulb (I don't recall if the old one did or not). Last night I heated up a small philips screwdriver and melted a hole in the primer bulb. The engine now seems to run fine, and it does not leak gas any more!

It is strange that the engine ran fine without a hole for a year or two... and my carb rebuild resulted in this problem. Anyway, it runs fine now so I won't argue with success. And I was about to buy a new engine, or worse, a new snowblower. Heck, mine is only 21 years old!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-05, 10:36 PM   #8  
Good job! That's what I was leading to with my prior question. The carb apparently uses the primer circuit as a bowl vent.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread